How can I increase my chances of being accepted to a good MSW program?

An_Idealist

It was only two or so months ago that I decided I wanted a career in social work. Before then, I had been very unsure on what to do with my life. As a Classical Studies major, I had assumed for my first two years in undergrad that I'd go into academia and get my PhD, but by the end of my second year I knew I definitely did not want to stay in Classics.

After that I began toying with the idea of going into non-profit work, but after speaking with a friend's mom, she suggested social work. After researching, I realized that social work isn't just about taking children from damaged homes (I had known that before, as I've interacted with social workers in other fields, but for some reason that didn't click. It seems pretty dumb of me now not to realize that earlier though!).

My interests are in working with the elderly or disabled. I'm also interested in medical social work and patient advocacy. I don't have any formal experience in these areas. However, I did have a close family member who was sick for almost my entire life and was in a nursing home for two and a half years. I spent a lot of my time there, and interacted with a number of the other residents.

I know that this is certainly not enough if I hope to be accepted to a good MSW (my top choice is NYU). I plan on volunteering at a hospital this summer (due to a packed school schedule, working, and a daily 2 hour (one-way!) commute to and from school, I don't think I can fit in volunteering during the semester). Unfortunately, I don't really know what else I can do to better my chances of acceptance. I have a good GPA (4.0), but I've heard or read that that doesn't matter much. How can I get more experience in social work?

Also, would a public policy minor help my application at all? I declared the minor last semester and am starting the classes for it this semester, but since I want to focus more on clinical social work, I'm not sure how much I would benefit from it, and I don't know if that would seem weird to admissions if I say I'm interested in clinical social work, but have a public policy minor. I don't know if I'm overthinking at this point. But I really want to get into a good MSW program on my first try, because my mother needs me for financial support, and I'd really like to get a good job as soon as possible. I know social work jobs don't pay much, but compared to what I make now at my part time, minimum wage job, it'll be quite enough.

Okay, sorry for how long this is. Just to recap, I actually only have 2 questions:

• How can I get more experience in social work?
  • Would a public policy minor help my application at all?

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

My opinion is that you are on the right track with volunteering in a hospital.  You can also volunteer in community organizations that deal directly with older adults--perhaps as a 'friendly visitor'.  You can probably find plenty of short-term volunteer opportunities which can add some diversity to your experience. 

Regarding a minor in public policy.  I think that this is probably a good idea since you dont have any other 'direct' educational experience.  You can certainly talk about it in your statement---if phrased right, it can make you sound much better rounded.

Although many people choose careers for the chance to make more money, I strongly advise against mentioning this as your motivation. 

Good luck! :)

Although many people choose careers for the chance to make more money, I strongly advise against mentioning this as your motivation

Perhaps I phrased this wrong, or maybe I'm reading your response incorrectly, but what I'm trying to say is that I want a real job as soon as possible. I'm not going into social work for the money (not that social work is a career associated with big salaries anyway). I want a career in social work whether I get into a MSW on my first try, or whether I have to apply several times before being accepted. I'd just rather it be the former, not the latter!

Perhaps I phrased this wrong, or maybe I'm reading your response incorrectly, but what I'm trying to say is that I want a real job as soon as possible. I'm not going into social work for the money (not that social work is a career associated with big salaries anyway). I want a career in social work whether I get into a MSW on my first try, or whether I have to apply several times before being accepted. I'd just rather it be the former, not the latter!

Thanks for your comment.  My response was not meant to come across like it did (as I re-read it, I can see that it is a bit harsh--not my intention at all, sorry). 

I understand you wanting to get started in your career as soon as possible. Yes, social work is not generally considered a career for financially motivated people but you can certainly earn a decent living, especially with a masters degree. 

I think you have definitely put yourself on the right path regarding volunteer work and I think it is awesome that you are so passionate about social work.  What I really wanted to say is that this aspect of you (the passionate and career centered part) is what should shine in your statement.  I think it is pretty much understood that part of anyones motivation for higher education is the chance to make more money.  You just want to make sure that this is not something that comes across as being you primary motivation (which it is not).  I hope I am making sense here! I totally get what you are saying.