I/O Psychology PhD...types of research experience

jm72888

Hey guys, I have a question for ya'll.

How big of an issue is it if:

A) an applicant's research experience is not from a University?  (government org, non profit org, business)

B) the research experience is related to mental health, cognitive psych, behavioral psych or other areas unrelated to I/O like public policy/public health?

Here's an example:

One position is in a non-profit organization that helps low income families find housing.  The research involves administering surveys that measure the families' satisfaction with the program, visiting housing sites to make sure the programs are being run correctly, writing reports on the aforementioned, and data entry and organization.  Subject scheduling and recruitment, home visits to conduct interviews.  Helping write grants, and providing input on program development and policy.

Another position is in the medical or psychiatric division of a university.  It involves administering surveys and gathering data from children who are transitioning from long term hospital care back into a normal educational routine.  Data entry, management, organization, writing reports, etc.  Obtaining consent, subject sheduling and recruitment, some grant writing.

Which one is better?  What are the pro's/con's of each (on an I/O PhD resume)?

Is a research assistant position in the psych dept of a university a must?  Or at least, far better than other options?

Thanks.

J

There are quite a few things grad schools consider when selecting which students they want to come into their program. A big part of answering your question is contingent upon what level you are applying to, master's or Ph.D. If you are applying to doctoral programs, most of the top level programs are looking for research experience as of of the top qualifiers. They are also looking for above average GPAs and GRE scores, writing experience, and strong letters of recommendation, amongst other things. Many times, these programs are looking for independent research projects accompanied by a manuscript or conference presentation. I would say that at least having some research experience, even though not I/O related, is better than nothing, but top tier programs are probably looking for more academic research experience.