UC Davis Cultural Studies 2013

Well, good luck to you! Judging by past years' entries on the results board, we're past their normal notification date. I can't seem to find many others on GC applying there, so it's possible they've made calls and we have no idea :s

Fingers crossed!

Just found this thread...had some issues with application and missing documents but have heard nothing since...

I probably should've started this under Interdisciplinary Studies, but this program is pretty literature oriented (and English programs are pretty much becoming Cultural Studies programs) that I did what I did.

I also heard around January 4th about a missing transcript that needed to be in by the 11th for consideration. Since then, I've heard nothing. Someone notes above that they are sending letters (by snail mail) mid-March. This seems to be a departure from their past admissions procedures... I might call at the end of this week.

Where would I find the results board? Is that through their website?

Hi Cassie - You can search the Grad Cafe results board up top. My app page on their website has read "submitted" for a long time... According to the results board, they notified in 2012 in late January. So far, it doesn't appear they've made any decisions yet, though.

I applied to the cultural studies program at UC Davis and heard nothing except for a missing transcript a while ago. The website says everything is in, but my application status is "incomplete." We'll see.

I have an MA in Literature with a 4.0, a finished interdisciplinary thesis, 2 publications, 5 conference presentations, 2 years of teaching composition at a University as instructor of record, and a shit ton of leadership/extracurricular stuff, including being on the board of a non-profit for 2 years and a VP and President of a graduate employee labor union. But, I did my undergrad and MA at a low-ranked state school.

I've also applied to Purdue's Philosophy and Literature PhD and Michigan State's Literature PhD (for a gender studies/cultural studies bent).

I have no idea of my chances here, but I haven't heard from any of them, and it's slowly eating away at my soul. Thoughts?

I applied to the cultural studies program at UC Davis and heard nothing except for a missing transcript a while ago. The website says everything is in, but my application status is "incomplete." We'll see.

I have an MA in Literature with a 4.0, a finished interdisciplinary thesis, 2 publications, 5 conference presentations, 2 years of teaching composition at a University as instructor of record, and a shit ton of leadership/extracurricular stuff, including being on the board of a non-profit for 2 years and a VP and President of a graduate employee labor union. But, I did my undergrad and MA at a low-ranked state school.

I've also applied to Purdue's Philosophy and Literature PhD and Michigan State's Literature PhD (for a gender studies/cultural studies bent).

I have no idea of my chances here, but I haven't heard from any of them, and it's slowly eating away at my soul. Thoughts?

My application also says "incomplete," but it's nothing to worry about. I contacted Aklil Bekele (grad program coordinator) about it last week and was told that they had everything of mine and that the website status just reads that way until a decision has been posted. I also had a missing transcript back in early January, but I was assured that it arrived on time. So I'm not worried!

I've been told this is a very competetive program, but it looks like they admitted 10% of applicants last year which seems pretty par for the course in a lot of programs, at least in the ones I applied to which are predominately English PhD programs. I also know that they don't do a waitlist. You either get in or you don't, and I think funding is contingent on the departments you wish to work with.

And yeah, as Stephanie says, we've heard that notifications won't be made until early March this year.

Good idea! Distraction. What do you mean in terms of background? Qualifications, interests, areas of research, all of the above?

I did get accepted to MSU's PhD in English today, but I'm still waiting it out for UC Davis and Purdue to see what happens!

Me, too. I don't understand how my scholarship doesn't meet minimum requirements when I have pretty much everything they could want (4.0 MA GPA, 2 scholarly publications, 2 years teaching experience, a thesis, 7 conference presentations, a number of currently active leadership positions, etc.). Having six bullet points for rejection reasons makes me a sad panda.

I got the same thing, though they weren't unkind enough to me to give six reasons. Yikes! That seems excessive...

I think they must have canned reasons for rejection and whoever fills out the paperwork has to just select what's available. With an English background, I could see that fit might be tough... but the scholarship part stung a bit, too.

Ah well. Hope you all have luck with your other apps!

Edited by Cactus Ed