NYU - Food Studies PhD

bettyboopa

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone heard back from NYU for the Food Studies PhD program? I know a couple of people posted their results for the masters but so far I haven't found anyone who got notified for the PhD.

Thank you and good luck!

Out of genuine curiosity, what do people with doctorates in food studies from NYU end up doing? I spent some time reading the department''s website, as well as one person's account of the undergraduate program, but I couldn't find any specific information about what graduates have done, and almost all of the topics mentioned seemed to fit neatly within existing disciplines. Even in my field -- urban planning -- there's a fair amount of scholarship about food access and distribution issues, for example.

I got into the Masters Program at NYU, but am also currently looking at other schools more policy focused. I applied to a few different programs, as I have interests in policy and advocacy. Happy to find someone else out there interested in the program at NYU! I'm going down to the information session on the 24th.

• 2 weeks later...
Out of genuine curiosity, what do people with doctorates in food studies from NYU end up doing? I spent some time reading the department''s website, as well as one person's account of the undergraduate program, but I couldn't find any specific information about what graduates have done, and almost all of the topics mentioned seemed to fit neatly within existing disciplines. Even in my field -- urban planning -- there's a fair amount of scholarship about food access and distribution issues, for example.

Just went down to an open house with the program and they answered that question. Many of the jobs are in media or communications or doing such things as writing for online publications (or blogs), trade publications, or even the big food magazines (those jobs and internships are much harder to come by). Advertising and food marketing and PR is another big industry. Students in addition get involved in working in government and non-profits or even start their own restaurants, or other business ventures.