What to do after rejection?

ea00

I am a double-major undergraduate Chemistry and Biochemistry student with a 2.6 GPA. I applied for Biochemistry and Biophysics PhD programs and have gotten two rejections thus far (out of six) and no interviews. I am starting to realize that I might be rejected from all the schools that I've applied to this year.

I have three years lab of experience with two pending publications, one first and the other second author. My application is strong except for my GPA, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to spend this next year, until I can reapply? What will increase my chances of getting in to a good school?

I still have to option of staying as an undergraduate and getting a Biology degree as a triple major, or I can apply for a master's in biotechnology (1 year program)?

Any opinions on the matter would be great.

Thanks

I'd say the tough truth is that your chances are not good at top schools. Many graduate schools (as opposed to the individual departments) have a 3.0 minimum GPA requirement for all incoming applicants. If you are a super amazing candidate and have a POI willing to go to bat for you, they might be able to get a waiver on a case-by-case basis. From personal experience, I know that UWashington doesn't even read applications with a GPA under 3.0.

Some schools are starting to de-emphasize GPA this year (UCSF, for example), but sub-3.0 is probably outside of that range as well. My advice would be to take classes to get over 3.0 if possible (can cost a lot of money, depending on how many units you'll need). Other options would be to work with a PI willing to go to bat for you or look at a masters program instead of a PhD, although many of them will have the same minimum GPA requirements as well.

What kind of research did you / do you do in the past 3 years? Are your publications in print, in review, or something? Your GPA really hurts your chance and I would like to believe that publications that are published would mean something, depends on where you are in the author list. I know 1 person who has a sub-3.0 GPA who got into TSRI / Scripps, but that's a special case. I don't think that taking a 1-year master program will help you much if you're applying Biophysics/Biochemistry. You might as well take  more relevant classes to boost your GPA and continue with your research. Try taking relevant graduate level courses and do well in them -- they may be helpful to you in a long run especially if you're determined to go to grad school.

ps. a 2-year master (thesis) would be another option if money isn't a problem

Edited by aberrant

Hey, I was in a similar type of situation. I graduated from a well known (in the midwest) liberal arts college with a 2.9 GPA. After graduation I spent 1.5 years working in a research lab at the University of Minnesota where I worked my ass off and really impressed my boss. Because I was a University employee I was able to take an organic chemistry class very inexpensively. I didn't take Orgo as an undergrad... I worked my ass off in and got an A. I applied this year to programs at large public universities with very solid research programs. I wasn't sure what to expect but I got one interview (so far) at the University of Iowa (molecular and cellular biology PhD program). I did well in the interview because I have been doing research and am able to talk in great detail about my project and how it relates to other projects going on at Uiowa. I had 7 interviews with various professors some tried to grill me but thats not a problem if you know what you are talking about.

my application looked like this...

a 2.9 gpa 

average gre scores 

stellar letters of recommendation

1 paper in Molecular biology of the cell, second author

1 A in a class I took after graduating from undergrad (This shows continued motivation to improve)

a personal statement that briefly address academic shortcomings and spins it as a something that has become motivating. 

I was told during an interview that someone on the admissions committee pulled my application out of the reject pile because of the "Very flattering" letters of rec and personal statement. So maybe you have to have someone on an admissions committee go to bat for you a little bit

So it can be done... but you have to determination, improvement and dedication. We dug ourselves into a hole and now we have an uphill battle to get out of it. 

Good luck, you can do it!