International Fulbright Science and Technology Award?

ec86

I'm a Canadian citizen enrolling in a US PhD program in fall 2009. I'm currently looking at possible funding opportunities and came across the International Fulbright Science and Technology Award. Heard about Fullbright before and thought of it as an analogue to Rhodes, but don't know much detail. Currently doing background research on this award, but would any of you have some knowledge of how competitive this process is in general and specifically for the International Fulbright Science and Technology Award (Can-US award is even better!)?

The Award recipients receive assistance in gaining admission to prestigious U.S. institutions and three years of fiscal support which includes: academic tuition and fee coverage, a monthly living stipend, book and supplies allowance, conference and research allowances, health and accident coverage, round trip airfare from home country to the United States, and specially tailored enrichment activities.

The first sentence of above confuses me. "Receive assistance in gaining admission"? What if I am already admitted? The deadline to apply is May 31. Will I still be able to apply for the fall 2009 start? Their eligibility criteria is very vague: http://foreign.fulbrightonline.org/scienceandtech.html

I'll post in this thread when I dig out more information. Thanks!

Edit: Unfortunately, I missed the deadline for the Traditional Fulbright Student Awards (which was last fall). It seems like this award and the one I am inquiring about above overlap. Why the "redundancy"?

Edit 2: To answer my own question, yes the May 31 deadline is for uptake of award in the fall of same year.

Edit 3: 40 awards world wide for this fiscal year. WOW, haha. No idea on the number of applicants. Very competitive, lots of benefit, worthwhile to take the risk in applying?

Edit 4: Okay, to elaborate on Edit 2: Winners are actually guided through the process the year of award and they officially take up the award the next year. BALLS!

I think this is for the Fall 2010 season. I briefly looked at my country's website too. When they say "we offer assistance with placement/admission", it probably means that you give them your preference or even otherwise, they would match your interests with the top programs.. I'm sure you'll have a say in it, though I myself didn't get that information from the website. In any case, this deadline I believe is for the Fall 2010 applicants as the interviews for the shortlisted candidates will be held only in September and the website I looked at does say its for 2010. I'll give you a link to the site if I find it, I had taken a brief look a month ago.

Edit 1: I just read your Edit 2. http://www.usief.org.in/Scripts/ForIndi ... Award.aspx This is the source of my information and this says that the deadline is indeed for the 2010 placements.

To answer your more general question, Fulbright awards are highly competitive, and the number of applications they get (especially for exchanges to/from the Western world) is quite large. I wouldn't let that discourage you, though, as they are well worth the application time invested, and will look great on your CV for the rest of your career.

• 3 weeks later...

I am Fulbright Masters finalist for 2009-2011. This fellowship is for doctoral studies starting in fall 2010. By placement assistance, they mean that you will be helped by IIE, New York in getting admissions in the schools of your preference. As Listz has said, the process is highly competitive and the number of scholarships per country usually varies between 2-5. The selection as they say, will be completed by Aug 2009. If you have already secured, an admission to a university that matches well with your SoP and Personal statement and research proposal, they will not pursue admission in any other university. IIE New York will try getting you placed in the university where you have secured admission. Good luck mate, whether its 1,2 or 5 seats... 1 is all that you want..and you have it!!!