What is this MAPSS thing at Uchicago?

Guest guest

Guest guest

I've been deferred to this MAPSS program at the University of Chicago. Does anybody know about it, or whether or not it is a worthwhile substitute for a masters in my respective field, or is MAPSS a complete joke?

Guest Squirrely

I've been searching for an answer to that, as well. I was deferred into the Mapss program by the Psychology PhD program that I applied to. I can't find a whole lot about it on the UChicago website. On the one hand, it sounds like a fast way to get the Masters finished--plus you can take as many of the classes that you want from your desired field (like I could go in and just take all the psych. classes I would have been taking had I actually been admitted to the psych program). On the other hand, it's expensive. I got a 1/3 scholarship for MAPSS (I'm not sure if that is something that everyone got, or if some people got fellowships or grants or whatnot). But even the 1/3 scholarship will end up costing 12,000 in tuition for a year. And with no stipend for TA or RA-ing, that's another 15-20,000 just to live in Chicago fora year. It sounds like a neat concept for an interdisciplinary approach to study, but it also seem like a way to suck money out of you. But maybe this grad school process has sufficiently jaded my spirit so now I color everything in paranoid chromes.

Guest Guest

I was referred to MAPSS last year with 50% tuition paid. It's my impression that a surprising number of people receive funding, but that the majority of people who get scholarships receive only 1/4 or so. So 1/3 is really not bad...if you're willing to shell out for student loans to cover the remainder of your tuition and living expenses, which I did. As far as the content of the program itself, you have to be very proactive in order to have your needs met, particularly if you are already sold on becoming a Ph.D. Many of my MAPSS friends decided after that year that they weren't cut out for grad school. Those of us who still wanted to become profs often had to fight for attention from social science faculty, who are more committed to Ph.D. students in their own departments. You have to be assertive and actively seek RAships, workshops and other opportunities to work with interesting people. Also, faculty reaction to the program is mixed. One prominent Chicago prof told me that the program only exists to fund Ph.D. students, which is why nobody pays attention to MAPSS students, while another equally famous professor told me that the department uses MAPSS to "find the best students". In short, it's a bit of a crap shoot, but if you can handle the pressure and crushing workload, you can get a first-class social science education (with a solid grounding in theory and methods) with incredible library and research resources, as well as good recommendation letters to carry you on to doctoral study. Do not, however, take this as carte blanche to get into a Chicago Ph.D. program--many MAPSSters have been disappointed after their departments turned them away upon applying second time. (Oh--and beware of the mercurial, borderline-unprofessional MAPSS director. In my experience, he's incredibly smart, but unpredictable and sometimes just plain rude.) I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have; just post here and I'll check again.

I too was a MAPSSter last year (with 1/3 tuition paid), and I second the above poster's comments. Well said! (Except the part about the director, who was actually extremely helpful to me, especially in the application process this year.)

I took out enough loans to cover the rest of tuition, and then worked part time to support myself. It was pretty hard to work and go to school, given the incredible workload you are expected to do at Chicago, but well worth it. I now have three great offers, with funding, though from schools that are not as impressive a "name" as Chicago. I'm trying to let go of that elitism!

Guest Guest

I was a MAPSS student several years ago. Opinions vary a great deal, so what I'm saying applies to my experience with the program.

Without a doubt, the program is a cash-cow for the university. I HATED my experience at Chicago and until recently, I only reluctantly mentioned that obtained a degree at UofC. Class sizes were ridiculously large and I feel I missed out on some of the more important aspects of an M.A. education, i.e., small seminar courses, access to faculty, real mentorship opportunities, T.A-ships, etc. I was plagued with feelings of inadequacy—both of my own devices and far too often through reactions to MAPSS students from faculty, graduate students, and even undergrads. Also, because it is a one-year M.A., there is virtually no time to develop a meaningful project unless you have very specific ideas about what you want to get from the program. I didn't, so I took longer in finishing my thesis (with absolutely no support from my faculty advisor—who was an a-hole to the umpth degree). I wanted the MA period to be a time where I could focus my academic interests, but the brevity and anonymity of the experience was not very helpful in that regard.

On the other hand,  I learned an incredible amount in a very short time and I believe I am a better academic because of it. I will be beginning a doctoral program in the Fall and I think that my work at Chicago did make me a better candidate than I would have been without an MA, but if I had to do it again, I would have applied to smaller MA program. Based on my discussions with others, the guidance, attention, and access to faculty that I would have received at a smaller program at a "less stellar" school would have been a big help (and may have prevented my year of agony followed by two years of utter confusion). Also, I have found that because top programs rarely offer MAs, that receiving MAs from less notable schools does not really disadvantage Ph.D. applications.

Finally, I should note that I knew a few people that really enjoyed their MAPSS experience. In fact, a friend applied to a doctoral program while still a MAPSS student and is now a tenured professor at an incredible school. So, it all comes down to knowing yourself, knowing what makes you tick, what pisses you off, and what you're getting in to.

I hope this helps.

Guest Guest

I'm the MAPSSter who posted above about being proactive, with (my) reservations about the director...just wanted to add having read the comments of other former students that another positive aspect of MAPSS is the diversity of the cohort itself...students in the program come from a wide variety of backgrounds, and are usually very supportive of one another, regardless of competition within particular disciplines, courses, etc. (There is some speculation that some Ph.D. students resent the MAPSS program because its students get along so well with one another!) Gossip aside, I have to say that the people I met in the MAPSS program have truly touched my life, influenced my work, and helped me gain confidence as an academic. Of course, it is true that the incoming class is bigger and bigger every year, and individual attention/moral support from professors is even harder to obtain because of it, but nonetheless...my second round of applications would have been miserable without the encouragement and support of my classmates, many of whom were applying right alongside me. Sadly, not all of us got into programs the second time around--while I was accepted by my first choice, other deserving folks in my field (anthro) did not get offers...so this newfound camaraderie has been tempered with a measure of sadness as we all realize that we are going our separate ways. Thus, from the social networking angle, I found MAPSS to be a journey well worth going on...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Thanks. I understand what you mean, and at this point, I really don't have an idea who I would want to work with at UChicago. Just one other question, and anybody can answer it - when you were in MAPSS did you feel stigmatized by profs, even students? Kind of like - you're in the UC "minor leagues"? The program does not present itself that way to those who want to go onto the PhD, but more as a year set aside for them to decide what social science field they want to go into. What I've heard here, and elsewhere, however, tends to suggest that it is more of the former. This seems like it could be a major problem, especially in an environment where you must be so proactive.