Modern/Contemporary China Studies?

m-ttl

My friend is looking for MA/PhD programs that focus on Modern or Contemporary East Asian Studies (specifically China). She's going to have about 5 years of Mandarin Chinese and one year of Classical Chinese done by next year (our senior year) and is currently a Global Studies major/Chinese Minor. Mostly the big problem we've run into searching for potential programs is that it's easy to find say, University of Chicago and Columbia, but less easy to find the other programs (first or second tier, whatever they may be) that would be of interest. 

She's not looking to go into business, politics, or art history - but I think she'd be willing to look at general Modern History (mostly Chinese Cultural Revolution and onwards, but 1920's+ would be okay), Chinese Literature, or Language/Pedagogy. She has a 3.5 GPA which could end up a 3.6, and is looking for things that well, aren't an Ivy league. I have the fullest confidences she's going to be a competitive applicant by next year (she's spending this semester in Taiwan) but expanding the range of options she's considering would be great.

Any suggestions?

My friend is looking for MA/PhD programs that focus on Modern or Contemporary East Asian Studies (specifically China). She's going to have about 5 years of Mandarin Chinese and one year of Classical Chinese done by next year (our senior year) and is currently a Global Studies major/Chinese Minor. Mostly the big problem we've run into searching for potential programs is that it's easy to find say, University of Chicago and Columbia, but less easy to find the other programs (first or second tier, whatever they may be) that would be of interest. 

She's not looking to go into business, politics, or art history - but I think she'd be willing to look at general Modern History (mostly Chinese Cultural Revolution and onwards, but 1920's+ would be okay), Chinese Literature, or Language/Pedagogy. She has a 3.5 GPA which could end up a 3.6, and is looking for things that well, aren't an Ivy league. I have the fullest confidences she's going to be a competitive applicant by next year (she's spending this semester in Taiwan) but expanding the range of options she's considering would be great.

Any suggestions?

Ohio State has an East Asian Studies program that is supposed to be very good. They put quite a few resources behind their students that focus on Asia, generally speaking. You might want to suggest that she check it out...