2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Just had my Skype interview with Boston University which I think went well!  For those of you waiting, my interviewer said the decisions should be coming by email "within a week."  Eek!

ooh, by email?! they told us mail. hahha too much conflicting information!

ooh, by email?! they told us mail. hahha too much conflicting information!

Oh no! Haha. I specifically asked because I have spring break for two weeks starting March 8th and would hate for it to come by mail and have to wait all that time. She said the decision would come by email first and then we'd get something in the mail a little later if we were accepted.

Edited by occamstoothbrush

Begin the inevitable, "But what does this timing mean?" hand-wringing.

Sometimes I think it would be better to still wait for decisions in the mail, rather than track every small change online.

Aaaaand it just changed to Decision Made. AHHHHHH

Aaaaand it just changed to Decision Made. AHHHHHH

You guys are killing me! Mine still says final review, and now I'm just sitting here... refreshing constantly... even though it sounds like a "decision made" status wouldn't help me any!

I have seen a few comments from people about CSDCAS applications getting stuck in the system. Have folks been reaching out to admissions teams at their school designations directly or only contacting CSDCAS? I'm nervous that schools haven't received my full application but I don't want to push it with those responsible for deciding my future!

From what I've read on schools' websites and from what I've heard from other students, it seems like many schools use GPA and GRE to determine merit scholarships. Which one do you think is waited more? Do receivers of merit scholarships need to have both high GPA and GRE or is it one or the other? 

At UNC Chapel Hill the scholarships are mostly based on GPA but high GRE scores qualify you, because you are competing against engineers, chemistry folks, etc. The other schools where I applied have scholarships but seem mostly in GPA for last 60 hours (or less commonly for all of your previous coursework). The minimum was 3.5, suggested 3.6 or more. One place I looked at only had merit-based scholarships for second year students and the qualifier was your first year masters GPA.

At UNC Chapel Hill the scholarships are mostly based on GPA but high GRE scores qualify you, because you are competing against engineers, chemistry folks, etc. The other schools where I applied have scholarships but seem mostly in GPA for last 60 hours (or less commonly for all of your previous coursework). The minimum was 3.5, suggested 3.6 or more. One place I looked at only had merit-based scholarships for second year students and the qualifier was your first year masters GPA.

Speaking of which, are you still waiting to hear back from UNC-CH? People keep posting sporadic rejections/waitlists, but I still haven't heard anything. 

Speaking of which, are you still waiting to hear back from UNC-CH? People keep posting sporadic rejections/waitlists, but I still haven't heard anything. 

Yep, still waiting. Obsessively checking email and app status and connect Carolina. I am thinking that they are creating an unofficial wait list.

Yep, still waiting. Obsessively checking email and app status and connect Carolina. I am thinking that they are creating an unofficial wait list.

I agree. There's no other explanation I can come up with. It clearly isn't date of app. If there is one, here's hoping we are both on it!

I also have my Mom at my permanent address watching the mail like a hawk. I know USC said mid-March, but I am hoping it will be sooner.  :)

I agree. There's no other explanation I can come up with. It clearly isn't date of app. If there is one, here's hoping we are both on it!

I also have my Mom at my permanent address watching the mail like a hawk. I know USC said mid-March, but I am hoping it will be sooner.  :)

Me too! USC was my top choice when I started filling out applications. Right now they are tied with ECU and UNC. We are definitely on pins and needles but I am beginning to take it all in stride a bit better with the passing days.

Me too! USC was my top choice when I started filling out applications. Right now they are tied with ECU and UNC. We are definitely on pins and needles but I am beginning to take it all in stride a bit better with the passing days.

Did you indicate interest in one of USC's specific tracks when you applied? I wasn't sure if it was common of most students to follow a track there. 

Has anyone heard a peep from St. Xavier University?  I know they won't notify regarding decisions for awhile... but I haven't even gotten so much as a "thank you for your application" email.  I'm thinking that CSDCAS might have backed everything up?  

I will probably try calling them if I don't hear anything soon.  

For those of you waiting to hear back from UMN-Twin Cities, my status had changed to "Decision Made" yesterday. I just checked, and there was a link towards the bottom of the page that says "Decision Status available beginning 2/27/2013". The link has a letter saying that I am on the alternate list for admission.  :(

Did you indicate interest in one of USC's specific tracks when you applied? I wasn't sure if it was common of most students to follow a track there. 

I didn't indicate an interest in a particular track, but I did write about an interest in pursuing neurogenic disorders, aphasia, and post-stroke recovery. In the SOP I did indicate that I wanted a GA or RA position. Today, actually I checked our the various labs online where RAs and GAs work.

Has anyone heard a peep from St. Xavier University?  I know they won't notify regarding decisions for awhile... but I haven't even gotten so much as a "thank you for your application" email.  I'm thinking that CSDCAS might have backed everything up?  

I will probably try calling them if I don't hear anything soon.  

I applied there as well and haven't received anything at all. I called about 2 weeks ago and they said they had a ton of apps coming in from CSDCAS and that they were about to send them over to the department for review. I called just to make sure they received my app ok, which they did.