BGSU IO Program

IOSearch2013

What have you heard from the University thus far? My undergrad advisor told me a few weeks ago that they were going through their rounds of interviews, and I didn't hear anything so I just assumed I wasn't going to make the cut. They must have not filled all their spots, though, because just today I got an e-mail to set up an interview. I don't know what I'd do if I got in, I already have an offer from another PhD program. BGSU is a GREAT program, don't get me wrong. At the end of the day, the only real thing that puts me back at all is living in Ohio. I feel like it can't be the most exciting place to be, but heck, I've been wrong before.

I really want to go to BGSU.  I hadn't heard anything, so I contacted my POI.  This is what I got back in an e-mail.

"Great to hear from you.  No, we are actually not done with the admission process.  We do have some offers out, but we still have a couple more to make.  This year we had a record number of applications, with a really high percentage of really top notch students.  It is taking us longer than we anticipated to review them all. Beyond that, because we know not all students will accept our offer, we have sent offers to those students who we have already reviewed and would like to admit so that we can at least keep the process rolling.  That is to say, although we have made some offers, if those students turn them down, we will work to continue to make offers to students in a sort of revolving door type system.  We have placed some students on our wait list in anticipation of this.  So that is a long way of saying, no, there is still an excellent chance for admissions to our program even at this point in the game.  Please feel free to send along any additional questions you might have, and we really appreciate your interest in our program - as we review applications it is helpful to know who the students are who are genuinely interested in our program."

So if you are holding an offer from them, and don't plan to accept, please let them know so they can pass it on (maybe to me  :rolleyes:  ).  It also sounds like if you are really interested in BGSU you should e-mail them to let them know.

Edited by IOSearch2013

Right on! That actually makes a lot of sense and puts the pieces of the puzzle together a bit in my mind. Everyone I've talked to has said that this year is a crazy year, with tons of quality applicants at every corner. So thanks for sharing that!

I haven't been offered/waitlisted yet. My POI sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that I'd made the shortlist of applicants they're interested in, and I have a phone interview with him tomorrow. They said they're trying to move as quickly as possible, so hopefully they would extend an offer or waitlisting in a week or so. I honestly don't know what I'd do if I got in there. I'm really interested in another program I got into, but I'm also interested in BGSU. It'd probably come down to a matter of the campus visit and funding for me, it would just depend on what the comparison of the two would yield. So, idk if I'll get an offer, but if I do I'm sorry to keep really interested folks like you in suspense even longer  :(

Right on! That actually makes a lot of sense and puts the pieces of the puzzle together a bit in my mind. Everyone I've talked to has said that this year is a crazy year, with tons of quality applicants at every corner. So thanks for sharing that!

Heard this too. Welcome to the graduate application process in a down economy  <_< More people are exiting/forgoing the workforce and going to graduate school to improve their chances of landing a good job. More grad applicants=a more competitive pool. 

How did the interview go?

Real good! Thanks for asking. We talked for 45 minutes to an hour. He asked me 2 typical interview questions (like me giving anecdotal answers to situations, such as a time when I worked with a team on a project and the teammates' efforts were less than optimal) and then he asked me about my research interests and future career plans. After that, I asked him a bunch of questions about the program, current research, life in Bowling Green, etc. We went off on tangents a ton throughout the interview, which I figured was a good thing because that meant we had a mutual interest in what each other had to say. I felt really good about how the interview went, but I'm sure the other people he interviewed are saying the same thing. So we'll wait and see!

For details on their current offers status: He said that there were 4-5 people being interviewed for one last spot they have open. They want a group of 6-7 people to accept their offer. That's the tricky part on their end, is that they want x number of people to attend and not everyone they offer to is going to accept.

I've been e-mailing my POI over the past couple of days. I am now on the waitlist, and I asked for more info on how the waitlist works. He said that there's currently 5 people on the waitlist and there's no ranking system. He said they try and move people up based on similar research interests. So, for example, if someone interested in personnel selection drops out, then they would decide between personnel selection folks on the waitlist. I'm sure they don't follow that strictly, but that's the general premise behind how their waitlist works.

Edited by WALLerts

• 2 weeks later...

Please, anyone know anything???

Their visiting weekend is March 15 and all admitted students have been notified. I know some wait list notifications have gone out as well. So you're either on the wait list and haven't been notified, or rejected (keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's the first one). if you're really anxious about it I would email and ask. Some people discourage this, but I think it's not worth torturing yourself.

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing the USNEWS Rankings this morning, I finally caved and emailed my POI at BGSU.  This is part of the response I got back.

Currently, we have sent out 7 offers, and have 4 people on our wait list. Our recruitment weekend starts Friday. Our hope is that students will start making decisions soon after that. Further, the current plan is to admit 6-7 students for next year’s class who represent a balance of both I and O interests.

As to your status specifically, although you are not on our wait list, your file is actually quite high within the admissions pool. What will happen is if students who have been admitted/waitlisted decline our offer, we will open the admission review process back-up. Your file will be one of the first we consider. Please know that we had a record number of applications this year, with a really high percentage of stellar applicants. The fact that you were not in our first round of offers should in no way be taken as indicative of a lack of interest in your application for our program.”

So please, help me retain some sanity.  Does anyone here have an offer from them, and do you plan to accept/decline? I am trying to figure out if there is even the smallest of hopes.

THANKS.

Edited by IOSearch2013

Seeing the USNEWS Rankings this morning, I finally caved and emailed my POI at BGSU.  This is part of the response I got back.

Currently, we have sent out 7 offers, and have 4 people on our wait list. Our recruitment weekend starts Friday. Our hope is that students will start making decisions soon after that. Further, the current plan is to admit 6-7 students for next year’s class who represent a balance of both I and O interests.

As to your status specifically, although you are not on our wait list, your file is actually quite high within the admissions pool. What will happen is if students who have been admitted/waitlisted decline our offer, we will open the admission review process back-up. Your file will be one of the first we consider. Please know that we had a record number of applications this year, with a really high percentage of stellar applicants. The fact that you were not in our first round of offers should in no way be taken as indicative of a lack of interest in your application for our program.”

So please, help me retain some sanity.  Does anyone here have an offer from them, and do you plan to accept/decline? I am trying to figure out if there is even the smallest of hopes.

THANKS.

don't give up hope yet, we have admitted students in stranger circumstances in the past.