Incomplete application (only 2 LORs are submitted)

khaled

I just opened one of my applications and found this comment: "Your application is INCOMPLETE; we did not receive all of the 3 required LOR..."

I've been trying to contact my references and unfortunately I ended up having a missing LOR. What do you guys think? Do you think if I get the missing LOR submitted it will help? 

I'm afraid they just opened my application and found it to be incomplete, so they will never consider it again. 

Edited by khaled

1) Contact your referee to have the letter sent as soon as possible.

2) Contact the admissions office to let them know.

There is still a chance that they'll consider you.

I just called my referee. He apologized and immediately submitted the recommendation. I sent an email to the admissions office and received an "out of office" automatic reply. 

I just called my referee. He apologized and immediately submitted the recommendation. I sent an email to the admissions office and received an "out of office" automatic reply. 

At least he submitted it right away. Wait for a reply on Monday. If they don't answer, call them and find out.

Graduate secretaries are usually pretty understanding about that sort of thing. One of my LORs was waylaid for an application by a day or so and they seemed to take it in stride as part and parcel to the process. I'm sure this isn't the first time or the last this has happened! I would definitely get in touch with them first thing Monday, though.

I hate to be the one debbie downer here, but depending on the due date of the application, it may be too late. I kind of disagree with the sentiment that most grad programs are understanding, they really aren't. Many may be willing to overlook up to a week of lateness for LORs but longer than that, especially if the adcoms have met or are meeting soon, it's unlikely they'll get to your app. Hopefully, though, it will work out for the best!

When I was applying, one of my references completely forgot to send his LOR for one of my schools. When I finally realized it was missing, I emailed him and my POI at the school in a panic. He submitted it right away and everyone at the school (Columbia) was super nice about it and it was not a big deal at all.

By the way, this happened at the end of January, and the deadline for applications had been December 15! So that's pretty bad. But, in the end, I still got accepted! So there's hope. :)