About waitlist admission

Guys, do you have any idea about waitlist? Is waitlist a general ranking regardless of subfields or a specific ranking within subfields? If somebody in a subfield declines the offer, is this offer given to the first waitlist candidate in this subfield or given to No.1 in any subfield?

I very much welcome and appreciate your information! :?:

Here is what I would like to know. When an admittee turns down an offer, that does not necessitate an offer of admittance to a wait-listee, does it? My sense is that a school has a "target number" for an incoming cohort, and since they admit more than they want to begin with, a number of people must turn down offers before they go to the wait list. I hope I am wrong.

Thanks a lot, AllFiredUp and convex! You seem right. But if an offer finally comes to the waitlistees, then what's the answer to my questions? I really want to know the answer, for I'm currently first on the waitinglist. Many many thanks again!

I can't generalize to how all wait lists work, but I can tell you what I was told about Michigan's this year. They have a wait list for each subfield. They plan on enrolling 5 in each subfield. They admitted 5 in each subfield. Thus, if someone declines the offer, the top ranked person on the waitlist (yes the wait list is already ranked) gets the next offer.