Chemistry at University of Minnesota at Twin-Cities

Cheminal

Hi everyone.

I've been admitted to both PhD programs in Michigan State University and University of Minnesota in Chemistry, with roughly equivalent stipends in each. My advisor has a PhD from MSU, so I am considering working in his field too. But Minnesota is ranked slightly better. So I like MSU too.

Now I'm waiting for the decision from University of Wisconsin at Madison and Cornell (which seems like an impossibility). I'm basically NOT prepared for a rejection from University of Wisconsin at Madison.

I am therefore wondering if someone could draw a comparison between UW-Madison and Minnesota. I guess both are somewhat similar in living costs and as a city/weather, etc I'm not much worried.

I'm just confused about the reputation of both as good places. In Minnesota, my advisor is Tolman, who is editor-in-chief of ACS inorganic chemistry! I thought I'd get a comparison here.

Thanks in advance!

Basically I am just seeking a comparison between Uni of Minnesota and Uni of Wisconsin Madison. I've read about the former being a well-rounded research school and all. That's awesome. But the overall rankings show UW-M to be better.

In the US News Ranking, UW-Madison is 7 in Chemistry and UMN is 21. I want to carry out my visa procedures asap, and I want to know if I should wait or not by giving UW-Madison more time. I guess they've probably sent out quite a few emails of acceptances already, and I am just worried sick about whether I'll get it. So I am seeking a comparison as grad school, or the feel of how one is almost similar or better from the other.

Edited by AlChemina

Out of curiosity, what area of chemistry are you planning to focus on? I ask because I've also been accepted to MSU and U of Minnesota and am waiting to hear from a few others, including UIUC and UW Madison.

Edited by sleepwalker

Well, if I go to MSU, I'll probably pursue something bioorganic chemistry/chemical biology. In Minnesota though I'd pursue chemical biology, at least so far this is my plan. I'm waiting for Wisconsin too. I'll decide after that for sure.