Columbia MA in Critical and Curatorial Studies

starbean50

So I've been doing a little research on the admissions process, but with not much luck. According to the Columbia website, the acceptance rate is around 20%, isn't that somewhat high for a top tier school like Columbia? Any fellow applicants for the Class of 2013? Since the deadline was Feb 3, anyone have any idea when we can expect to hear back by??

You might try to check the results board to see when results have come back in previous years. This will give you a sense of a pattern. However, programs don't often announce when acceptances/rejections will be announced, and it may seem sporadic at best. Because it has such a late deadline, I would assume you won't hear back for quite a while, perhaps March. 

So I've been doing a little research on the admissions process, but with not much luck. According to the Columbia website, the acceptance rate is around 20%, isn't that somewhat high for a top tier school like Columbia? Any fellow applicants for the Class of 2013? Since the deadline was Feb 3, anyone have any idea when we can expect to hear back by??

Columbia accepts admits with and without funding. Many other top tier programs only accept the students that they can provide funding for. 

So glad someone posted about MODA! I applied for 2013. It looks like past years a lot of responses came back March 15 though the GSAS email I received when I registered said we would hear in April. 

I assumed the higher acceptance rate was because the field is significantly narrower (the program is now twentieth and twenty-first century, but was previously post 1940 art) than an MA program accepting students in a wide range of temporal periods and regions. They still get a large number of applicants, but perhaps less than a traditional MA program.

Also it seems a certain percentage of those granted admission opt not to matriculate, perhaps because of a lack of funding—they may accept more students with this in mind. 

Wish we would find out sooner. 

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

flower-- I just spoke to the admissions office, and they said we'd know by the end of next week =) Just thought I'd keep you posted, and good luck! 

Thanks for the heads up! 

I just received an acceptance email, I think they are coming in now! In past years though the admissions have been spread out over a month or so.

So excited. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Starbean, 

Congratulations! My letter said we'd be receiving an official letter from the Dean within two weeks. Columbia had spring break this past week, so I'm guessing we will probably get the official email in the next couple days. Maybe with specific information about what to do now... If I hear anything I will message you if that's okay. :)