Panicked! UPenn Interview tomorrow!

gradschoolmom

It's particularly helpful in lobbying for more financial aid if you have proof of a stronger offer elsewhere. The person in charge of financial aid when I applied asked to see my offer letter from UChicago - he didn't ultimately end up raising the scholarship, I think because of some weaknesses in my undergrad transcript, but he was certainly willing to entertain the idea. 

It's particularly helpful in lobbying for more financial aid if you have proof of a stronger offer elsewhere. The person in charge of financial aid when I applied asked to see my offer letter from UChicago - he didn't ultimately end up raising the scholarship, I think because of some weaknesses in my undergrad transcript, but he was certainly willing to entertain the idea. 

Yes - excellent point, you reminded me of this from the info session as well!  Financial aid folks said if you have a more competitive offer or a special circumstance, to offer that (show them the more competitive offer, etc).  Honesty, though, I think Penn's tuition is about $42K.  Granted ,that doesn't include ancillaries, but that brings their price tag down below $30K per year.  And that doesn't include any sort of scholarships you might be able to apply for.  I'd do Penn for under $30K per year, especially with income based repayment options.  The one state school in my area is in the mid 20's for tuition; that's not that far off from them.  Good luck in your decision.

I got a call from the woman that interviewed me, letting me know that i was accepted. I got an email about my financial aid decision, and that was on my application portal. I also applied for the two year program. 

Since a lot of people don't update, I wanted to...I received the expected rejection from Penn yesterday.  Was decidedly unimpressed with the extremely curt, unsigned rejection letter, but no rejection letters are good.  I think the low level of experience I had coupled with the completion of my degree in an online program were detractors.  I also don't think my age and status as a person with a disability helped me very much.  From speaking with my interviewer, there seems to be a grave disconnect in the rigors of an online program, particularly one like mine that had a high level of synchronous components and proctored exams.  When my disability was in remission, I was going to transfer to an in-seat program but would have lost far too many credits to finish, so I remained in my current program.  Unfortunately, there are still some in academia that believe an online degree, even from a reputable school, is cheapened.  I conferred with my recommenders and all of them were very surprised given my academic performance, life experience, and other intangibles...but it's not the end of the world.  I have applied to online and in-seat programs and I'm certain I'll find the right match, even if Penn was not it.  Crossing my fingers through this application season, congrats to all who have been or will be admitted to Penn, and good luck to everyone else!

Thanks for the update, although I am sorry to read about your rejection.  Expected or not, it still sucks. Was this your top choice?

All the best for your remaining applications.

Since a lot of people don't update, I wanted to...I received the expected rejection from Penn yesterday.  Was decidedly unimpressed with the extremely curt, unsigned rejection letter, but no rejection letters are good.  I think the low level of experience I had coupled with the completion of my degree in an online program were detractors.  I also don't think my age and status as a person with a disability helped me very much.  From speaking with my interviewer, there seems to be a grave disconnect in the rigors of an online program, particularly one like mine that had a high level of synchronous components and proctored exams.  When my disability was in remission, I was going to transfer to an in-seat program but would have lost far too many credits to finish, so I remained in my current program.  Unfortunately, there are still some in academia that believe an online degree, even from a reputable school, is cheapened.  I conferred with my recommenders and all of them were very surprised given my academic performance, life experience, and other intangibles...but it's not the end of the world.  I have applied to online and in-seat programs and I'm certain I'll find the right match, even if Penn was not it.  Crossing my fingers through this application season, congrats to all who have been or will be admitted to Penn, and good luck to everyone else!

Thanks for the update! I'm sorry about your rejection, I know Penn was high on your list. Good luck on the rest of your applications!

and, just as an update for me-I'm still playing the waiting game, losing a little more hope as each day goes by...