Columbia University 2013

ak48

As a doctoral student, I'm in GSAS. Every PhD candidate is (as they are the only school that can award PhDs) regardless of what department/school they are in.

I've also just accepted my UAH housing offer this morning to live in I-House (doing so through UAH means students can stay in the UAH system, unlike applying directly). I'm choosing to live in I-House because living somewhere with a real sense of community is very important to me. If you feel the same (and you'd actually choose to live in I-House over a standard UAH apartment), I'm sure that'll come across in your I-House application (they are competitive, only a third or so of people are successful) and you'll get in. If you're just applying because you need somewhere to stay, you likely won't be accepted (and rightfully so). This isn't to attack you specifically (you may after all have only learned about I-House recently), it's just that people working their way into residential colleges who have no interest in the benefits of what they offer undermine the mission of them. Hopefully this isn't you, and I wish you luck!

EDIT: Crossposting from the other Columbia thread we have in this forum this year.

"I visited I-House while I was in New York a while back, it was incredible. The rooms may not be the fanciest ever, but other factors more than make up for it. The facilities (fitness center, auditorium, gymnasium, dining hall, bar, computer rooms, fancy as all heck study rooms etc) were stunning. More than that, there was a real sense of community. The random night I visited I saw people studying together, chilling together, eating together, watching movies together, playing volleyball together etc. I was taken around by random students  (who normally don't take people on tours) who I met through a friend, and they knew practically everyone we ran into while walking through the buildings. Pretty remarkable in a community of like 800 grad students. If you read their website, they also seem to run an absurd number of events.

Considering all the other options for Columbia students are pretty isolated apartment buildings, I-House is a must for anyone who's interested in the community aspect and residential college life thing. Spots are limited though, so don't take up a spot if you're not interested in participating in what is on offer there."

So for anyone (e.g. mainly the 2014ers who'll be reading this thread 6 months from now),  who is interested in this kind of living situation, check out http://www.ihouse-nyc.org/s/707/start.aspx and consider applying. 

Edited by Arcanen

As a doctoral student, I'm in GSAS. Every PhD candidate is (as they are the only school that can award PhDs) regardless of what department/school they are in.

I've also just accepted my UAH housing offer this morning to live in I-House (doing so through UAH means students can stay in the UAH system, unlike applying directly). I'm choosing to live in I-House because living somewhere with a real sense of community is very important to me. If you feel the same (and you'd actually choose to live in I-House over a standard UAH apartment), I'm sure that'll come across in your I-House application (they are competitive, only a third or so of people are successful) and you'll get in. If you're just applying because you need somewhere to stay, you likely won't be accepted (and rightfully so). This isn't to attack you specifically (you may after all have only learned about I-House recently), it's just that people working their way into residential colleges who have no interest in the benefits of what they offer undermine the mission of them. Hopefully this isn't you, and I wish you luck!

EDIT: Crossposting from the other Columbia thread we have in this forum this year.

"I visited I-House while I was in New York a while back, it was incredible. The rooms may not be the fanciest ever, but other factors more than make up for it. The facilities (fitness center, auditorium, gymnasium, dining hall, bar, computer rooms, fancy as all heck study rooms etc) were stunning. More than that, there was a real sense of community. The random night I visited I saw people studying together, chilling together, eating together, watching movies together, playing volleyball together etc. I was taken around by random students  (who normally don't take people on tours) who I met through a friend, and they knew practically everyone we ran into while walking through the buildings. Pretty remarkable in a community of like 800 grad students. If you read their website, they also seem to run an absurd number of events.

Considering all the other options for Columbia students are pretty isolated apartment buildings, I-House is a must for anyone who's interested in the community aspect and residential college life thing. Spots are limited though, so don't take up a spot if you're not interested in participating in what is on offer there."

So for anyone (e.g. mainly the 2014ers who'll be reading this thread 6 months from now),  who is interested in this kind of living situation, check out http://www.ihouse-nyc.org/s/707/start.aspx and consider applying. 

Hi,

YES, I am definitely interested in the community aspect of I-House. I was an RA since my sophomore year of college, so I have always lived in such an environment and it would be something I would love to continue (they also have a leadership program for women, which is awesome). There is just so many things at I-House that I would love to get involved in. I really hope that did come across in my essay. And you are absolutely right, I do hope I'll get a spot over someone who doesn't care about the diversity of backgrounds and community living that I-House offers. Although I would consider myself a good resident for such a community, I'm still scared that it all didn't come across in that one page statement. But they will let me know on July 2nd, so we'll see. 

Congratulations on your PhD admission. In what field are you going to be conducting research? 

in my UAH application i had said that i wont be applying for i house because back then i wasnt sure about my monthly income. Now that I feel more confident i can afford one of the cheaper rooms i want to apply... do i have better chances applying directly or through changing my UAH application as well? I have to apply to i house directly anyway but i hope changing the UAH application wont get my application stuck on columbia's side before i house can respond. What do you think?

The relationship between Columbia UAH and I-House is strange and not really clearly defined. Even people from I-House and UAH that I managed to speak to didn't really have a good idea of how things worked. From what I can tell, I think applying through UAH increases your chances since if you are approved for housing through UAH your application (e.g. personal statement) will get looked at and considered an additional time.

The offers from I-House and UAH are separate. If you get a spot in I-House as a result of submitting to I-House directly, that offer will have nothing at all to do with Columbia UAH. If you get an offer from UAH, you accept the offer by responding to UAH and you pay them directly, even though you live in I-House. I-House read your UAH I-House application and only accept those they'd accept normally anyway, but after that point it's through UAH. So there's no reason to worry about your application getting stuck "before I-House can respond", because I-House is responding to an application that has nothing to do with UAH. If you get an offer from I-House, you can just tell UAH that you're all sorted and don't need to worry about your UAH application.

That said, if you haven't gotten your UAH offer yet, it seems highly unlikely to me that you've been successful. Changing your UAH application at this point isn't going to decrease your chances, I don't think. All it could do is possibly get your I-House application looked at a second time (which is beneficial if you a) get rejected by I-House directly, or b )you want to go through UAH into I-House to stay in the UAH system) if your department approves you for housing.

Edited by Arcanen

Haven't heard from UAH, incoming MA student here :( Guess all hope is lost???

Even though I got a room at I-House (and I applied directly to I-House for that one, not through UAH), I e-mailed the GSAS UAH liaison person a few days ago and they answered that final housing decisions would be sent out mid-July... so perhaps by next week, you'll know. I hope that helps. 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I need advise regarding mobile connection. I have an unlocked Iphone 5 that I want to bring along to USA and continue using. I think that leaves T mobile as my only option for service provider but i have heard that its quality is really bad around Columbia university campus. Anybody have any experience regarding that? Is it worth bringing my phone or should i just get rid of it here and buy a contract deal with verizon?