Anyone heard from UT Austin, EECS program?

the20thboys

My husband was e-mailed an acceptance letter for the PhD program at the end of January. He had a phone interview two weeks earlier. He has been invited to visit Austin in two weeks to tour the campus and such. I'll be tagging along with him.

Best of luck! :)

Edited by orly85

I got in the day after an interview and was invited to tour campus (notified around the end of January). It seems like they've only sent out a few accepts to people who have gotten interviews so far. I'm sure they'll be sending out a large batch of decisions soon. Keep in mind it's still pretty early in the admission season. Most schools give out rolling acceptances Feb. to mid-March.

I was invited to the visit days last Friday (2/8), then got told to look at the website to find the official admission letter on Sunday. Another official letter emailed from the ECE department on Tuesday. I didn't have an interview and all the letters mentioned nothing about funding, I'm assuming they will deal with that later this month or into March. 

UT is notorious for not giving funding details until the very last minute. I'm meeting with a POI (whom I also interviewed with) during the recruitment weekend. Hoping to get some information on that soon since an acceptance without funding is a rejection in my book!

UT is notorious for not giving funding details until the very last minute. I'm meeting with a POI (whom I also interviewed with) during the recruitment weekend. Hoping to get some information on that soon since an acceptance without funding is a rejection in my book!

What is your specific major in EE?, e.g., circuit design, communication theory and signal processing, or semiconductor, something like that.

What is your specific major in EE?, e.g., circuit design, communication theory and signal processing, or semiconductor, something like that.

I applied to the CommNetS track, but I'm specifically interested in signal processing theory.

Yes of course. Did you?

Wow my bad. Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that, but I meant to say "Which professors did you list on your SoP?" I had listed three, but I was contacted by another professor who thought our interests overlapped. After about 45 minutes of conversation about his research, I realized that he probably should've been listed on there as someone I would want to work with, as I am now leaning towards his group (if I decide to enroll).

Wow my bad. Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that, but I meant to say "Which professors did you list on your SoP?" I had listed three, but I was contacted by another professor who thought our interests overlapped. After about 45 minutes of conversation about his research, I realized that he probably should've been listed on there as someone I would want to work with, as I am now leaning towards his group (if I decide to enroll).

Great. Can I ask which professor who had conversation?Only if you dont mind.

The message at the top of the application page changed to:

"Attention: Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review.

As soon as a decision is made on your application, it will be posted on this page, and you will be notified by email."

What does that mean? Has anyone got the same message? Will the decision (positive/negative) come soon?

Similar topic here: 

Edited by narcisso

My application page now states:

"Attention: Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review.

Each individual graduate program sets its own schedule for reviewing application files. You should consult the graduate coordinator in the program to which you have applied to determine when decisions will be made.

As soon as a decision is made on your application, it will be posted on this page, and you will be notified by email."

Do you think I should mail the graduate coordinator on not?

Do you think I should mail the graduate coordinator on not?

That is a good question. It wouldn't hurt to ask when to expect a decision, I guess. But I wouldn't expect/accept an exact date from anyone-- just for my own sainty. Take comfort in the last sentence of your application page "As soon as a decision is made on your application, it will be posted on this page, and you will be notified by email."

It will happen when it happens :D

tarrman, hope your enjoy your trip to Austin this weekend. We are excited to get out of New England for a few days and catch some sun. :D

Even I have applied to the EECS PhD program. VLSI CAD track. I am going nuts here waiting for a decision. I emailed Barry Levitch,the Graduate Admissions Co-ordinator and he mentioned that their records indicate that my application is complete and it is pending committee review and that I could expect a decision anywhere between this week to the next six weeks..  sigh :( .

Hasnt stopped me from checking my email and thegradcafe a zillion times a day  :D