Would a public policy minor make or break my application?

An_Idealist

I'm majoring in Classical studies and anthropology, but I'm interested in social work with a clinical focus, particularly in medical social work and working with the disabled and elderly. I've only recently started thinking about social work as a career, but I do have informal experience with the environment; a close family member had a chronic illness and spent the last three or so years in a nursing home. Of course, I understand that this is not enough for me to get into a good MSW (I was hoping for NYU or Fordham since I live in NYC and would like to remain in the area). So I thought a public policy minor might help - I was told it certainly wouldn't hurt - but I feel that it would be more beneficial to someone interested in macro social work.

So lately, I've been thinking about dropping the minor, which would give me some extra time to maybe do some volunteer work. What do you guys think? In my opinion, volunteer experience would look better than a public policy minor, but I don't want to make any rash decisions, only to regret them later.