Transcript Received Late, Affect Chances?

spacezeppelin

Hello, I recently was told that one of my top choice schools didn’t have my undergraduate transcripts. I sent them, and confirmed that they had been sent, but I guess somewhere along the line they were misplaced, lost, or burned (kidding, lol). I checked online and it said that my “application was complete” so I took that to mean it was fine...but then I got an email from the director saying that she didnt have them, and that I should confirm that they had been sent. I had my university rush resend them. The application deadline was the 1st. However, the school has a “file completion” deadline of March 1st. I don’t really know exactly what that means. Do you think the late transcripts will affect my chances of admission? I’m concerned late materials is kind of like showing up late for a job interview...

Most likely no affect: They find that things are missing when your file/application was sent to the department to be reviewed. The adcomm/faculty members can still review it, they just won't have your official transcript. When this happened to me, that's what I was told.

it might affect your chances for an entrance award since those are usually handed out to early applicants. you might run into problems if the school has rolling admission - otherwise, you're fine. it's totally normal for these documents to come in late.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. They made me feel better until I called to confirm that the transcript arrived this time. As of yesterday it hasn't yet! It was mailed out last thursday but I guess with mail and processesing it can take a while. I'm sort of freaking out about it. I'm not really sure what else I can do at this point, though.

I was on the verge of driving two hours to my undergrad university, picking up a transcript, and driving another two to the school and dropping it off. And then driving another four hours back... I would have to take off work though, and to be honest it seems totally crazy. I guess I should just hope it arrives...

Edited by spacezeppelin

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, this is the nightmare that will not end. The last missing transcript was received and processed. My application status said that it was sent to the graduate program and all seemed well. Today, I got ANOTHER email from an admissions advisor saying a transcript was STILL missing.

I call to discuss it, and they said this time it was a community college. For the life of me I couldn’t remember what they were talking about. Then, I realize that I took a pysc course in the summer when I was fifteen. This was seven years ago, and I COMPLETELY forgot I took it because it was in the summer for like...a month and a half. So now I’m sending a transcript with one course on it...very late.

Its crazy, six other schools didn’t even know about it or didnt even bring it up. I didn’t even remember what I got in the class. Luckily it turns out to be an A, but STILL. The deadline is long gone. Gosh, at this point I’m not sure even I would admit me after TWO missing transcripts. Moral of the story: SEND EVERYTHING!

Most likely no affect: They find that things are missing when your file/application was sent to the department to be reviewed. The adcomm/faculty members can still review it, they just won't have your official transcript. When this happened to me, that's what I was told.