Applying to PsyD in Counseling Psychology Program, NEED HELP!

pjones616

Hi, I am a 23 year old African American woman in the process of finishing my M.S. in Marriage and Family Therapy. I recently decided to apply for a PsyD in Counseling Psychology. I am in the process of writing my personal statement and I really want it to be excellent. I know the gist of a "good" personal statement, but I am looking for something more than that, something GREAT to make my personal statement stand out (arent we all). A story you suggest? Well, about what? A quote? "about what?" I have a GPA of 3.6, but since I am young, I feel the need to overcompensate to be on the same page as I assume the other applicants are. ANY advice would be so appreciated!!!

Hi. I know this is not the advice you're looking for, but why are you applying to PsyD programs in Counseling when you are getting your MFT?

I haven't done extensive personal research on this, but I have some clinical and MFT buddies, and they all have told me that if you just want to practice theraphy an MFT and a PsyD is essentially the same. Thus, it would be redundant to get a PsyD in Counseling if you already have your MFT.

Now to your actual concerns. One, I don't think being numerically young does not count againts you. If you are mature and professional then age is not an issue. In short, you do not need to overycompenste for age. Two, why not just use your old personal statement? If it's good enough to get you into an MFT program it should be good enough to get you into a PsyD one. I suggest using the same intro. You obviously have to change some of the content to reflect your MFT experience.

Hi. I know this is not the advice you're looking for, but why are you applying to PsyD programs in Counseling when you are getting your MFT?

I haven't done extensive personal research on this, but I have some clinical and MFT buddies, and they all have told me that if you just want to practice theraphy an MFT and a PsyD is essentially the same. Thus, it would be redundant to get a PsyD in Counseling if you already have your MFT.

Now to your actual concerns. One, I don't think being numerically young does not count againts you. If you are mature and professional then age is not an issue. In short, you do not need to overycompenste for age. Two, why not just use your old personal statement? If it's good enough to get you into an MFT program it should be good enough to get you into a PsyD one. I suggest using the same intro. You obviously have to change some of the content to reflect your MFT experience.

It's true, clinically, MFTs and PsyDs do virtually the same work. A big difference is that insurance companies reimburse PsyDs (and PhDs for that matter) at a higher rate. Granted, since most PsyDs are not funded during their time at school... the difference in the long term is pretty minimal. Besides for reimbursement, PsyDs are usually more sought after candidates for administrative positions at mental health agencys and still have an opportunity to teach (although most predomintely at for-profit professional schools, i.e. Adler).

I think it's all a question of what you want to do, PJones. Overall, I would agree with Darwin. If clinical work is your main goal, skip the PsyD and build your career around your MFT.

Hello,

I appreciate the feedback. The reasoning for continuing my education is to gain more competencies. Most MFT programs do not have the 1 year of clinical work where mine does, but even though I am almost done with that, I am yearning for more education and research experience. I am not in a hurry to find employment as an MFT right away, so I figure why not go for a home run? For me, it is not so much the title, but we all know that having that title does help. 

That's somewhat incorrect. I'm starting a Psy.D. in the fall and often get asked why I "need" the higher degree, often asked by MFTs, MS/MAs, LPCs, and social workers. A huge difference between the Psy.D. (or even a clinical or counseling Ph.D.) and the MFT is the testing and psychological assessment component. You need a clinical or counseling Psy.D. or Ph.D. in most if not all states to do testing and psychological assessments. Also there's a slight edge for doctorate holders in terms of teaching in the field, supervising doctoral level students, and higher rates of reimbursement (although not a huge amount). Besides testing and some slightly higher payments it's a personal choice.  Part of this is because at the Masters level in our field there isn't really much focus or coursework on testing and assessment. For me I want to go beyond a Masters because I want complete flexibility in my career, I want the freedom to do multiple things in the field and not be limited. I also currently do intakes in addition to individual therapy and intakes got me interesting in testing and assessment.

But if you don't see yourself doing testing/assessment and don't mind the limits that are placed on master's level clinicians and just want to do straight counseling the MFT is more than sufficient.