Cornell MEng vs U Mich MSEE

AlwaysWorried

I really wanted to start a MS/PhD program this fall. This is my second time applying and I have gotten rejected from every PhD program that I applied to. I was accepted into Cornell's MEng program and U Mich MSEE program without funding. If I still want to get a PhD which program is a better option?

hey,

I just came back from Cornell this past weekend, and I can tell you that MEng is considered a terminal degree, so you won't be able to continue to PhD after MS.. unless you plan to switch over to MS somehow.

And the thing is, Cornell didn't have an option for MS. (at least, for ME. I don't know about EE.) So it was either go for a PhD, or M.Eng.

Hello,

I'm a Cornell MEng student right now. It's mostly for people who are planning to go into the industry and work, but doesn't mean it's stopping you from moving onto a PhD after you get your MEng. You can:

1) Use the work you did here and apply to other PhD programs. This is what I did, and I just got accepted to PhD at Michigan.

2) Enroll in the "research track" of the MEng program. That is, you do 7 credits of thesis research per semester (other MEng students do a total of 8 credits of project for the entire year). If you can find an advisor to fund you during the year, then you may ask your advisor to sponsor you for an internal change of status which switches you over to the PhD program right after you get your degree.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I am in the same boat ...This is the email I got

Your application for admission to the Cornell Graduate School as a PhD student has been given careful consideration by the Graduate Field of Chemical Engineering. I regret that we are unable to offer you admission to that degree program, but we offer below an alternative for your consideration.

Our one-year Master of Engineering (MEng) Degree Program might be the perfect fit for you. You can find out more information about the MEng Degree Program at this website: http://www.cheme.cornell.edu/cheme/graduate/degrees.cfm. Please keep in mind that financial aid is very limited for the MEng Program and most students are self-supporting. The MEng Degree Program is a separate program (with separate admissions) that is "practice-oriented." For that reason, the MEng Program does not continue into the PhD Program. Should you decide you would like your materials transferred to the MEng Program for consideration, please reply to this message and I will make the necessary arrangements.

Does this imply an admit...... If I am to go for Meng, can I get full aid. Without aid, I cannot even dream of entering into any college.Is it possible to get fellowships so that I wont have to show financial documents for an I20

I got the same email. It means you have been admitted to Cornell's one year professional masters with absolutely no funding. The cost is roughly 54K. I have spoken with students that have said it is possible to enter the PhD program from this program, but you would still be paying for your first year out of pocket.