MIT Aero/Astro Fall 2013

ssingh

Supposedly one of the guys that visited Georgia Tech with me said he had already been admitted to MIT. But I heard this through another prospective, so it is possible he was accepted to Mechanical and not aerospace

Hey guys

Just got my accept mail. I had applied to Masters as an initial degree and PhD as the final objective. So have put up the admit as masters in the survey. The mail was CCed to 2 of my potential advisors whom I will have to contact in near future. No commitment on funding was given. Apart from that there was a lot of info on accepting and other formalities

All the very best to you guys and hope you guys get your accepts soon :-)

Thanks

Another rejection posted, commenting: all the admits were went.. :(

To be fair, how would the guy know if all admits are sent already? I doubt they would say that in the email.

Hey guys

My primary area of interest is aircraft control and dynamics. And the potential advisors are Prof Steve Hall and Prof Jon How, both members of the Aircraft Control Labs so that would be great for me. My brief profile is as follows:

Undergrad: Top institution in India

GPA: 9.82/10.0

GRE (V/Q/W): 166/169/4.0

Ranked 1st in the department

Had research experience for all 4 years mostly at my home institute so I guess all the recos were strong

I still havent received any funding information from either Stanford or MIT. If Stanford declines funding then the decision might become a lot easier :-P. If not then its really tough and I will have to think it through

As for the rejects I am not fully convinced. From previous years, usually wait list results go out before the rejects and thats much later in Feb (27/28). So i guess we havent heard the last of that. Good luck to all of you for your decisions. I hope you get them early whatever they are as it really helps the anxiety. Had I not got the mail yesterday the next few days would have been terrible for me 

@ankit.shah

You don't need worry about the funding from MIT.

It;s a mini phd offer for MIT admitted students; almost everyone gets fundings. (MIT's rich. :))

You can double check with your advisor. But I'm pretty sure that was the case for last year.

My friend got admitted and attended visit day. That's what he told me.

Congrats! I just realized we have the same POIs both for MIT and Stanford. But I haven't got any news from either of them. I guess my competitors are too strong, like you...

Well they haven't even released waitlists yet. I think they've done their individual student reviews and are going through them as a committee one day at a time now, so each day we will see a few accepts and then a lot more rejects for that day. At least I hope that's what it is... maybe I'm just blissfully ignorant about the whole process.

@jam_sister

They usually dont send rejects upto 1st March as per last year and they haven't even sent out waitlists. So I guess better to just disregard the reject posts for now. Good luck to you and all the rest.

@mnipenny

Which other universities did you apply to for Controls and Dynamics?

@ankit.shah

Apart from those two, I also applied Umich.

@jam_sister

Someone posted in the result saying that she/he emailed Beth and was told that all the admits were sent.

I guess it just took a while to send out all the rejections...so sad.

Edited by mnipenny

I am still pessimistically hopeful, if that makes sense. But I am thinking that I am probably on the wait list. Oh well, I have a few good offers and I am only hoping for MIT for bragging rights, not so much research fit, you know what I mean?

Wait list at MIT is a sad place to be. 99% of people with offers will take them I fear, meaning the wait list might not matter. D'oh well, I'm happy with the other schools I applied to anyways.

Mnipenny- No, I don't think so. I might email them today,but when I got the offer they said nothing about funding and I have heard subsequent posters here who had their scholarship interviews. At least I have Georgia Tech with full fees and 26k a year!

Anybody see the post in the Results- it looks like somebody rang Beth and she said that it is UNTRUE that all accepts have been sent. 

This probably only affects me at this stage. Now I'm refreshing emails again every 5 mins! 

Sorry for the influx of posts, but I just got this:

---Thanks for your message. Our faculty are working to finalize all decisions this week, and we are on track to notify all applicants of those decisions on or by March 1, via email. Our visit day is March 15, for admitted students only. If you are admitted, more details will follow.

Best,

Beth Marois---

Didn't mention anything about admits being sent, or a waitlist.