when is enough enough? funding, that is...

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but when does one accept a (low-ish) funding offer as it stands and just step back and count one's blessings for receiving any funding at all? My top choice at this point has indicated that I can expect to receive a TAship, but I don't know the appointment level (and thus the stipend amount) even after speaking with the graduate director. Is this common? Am I wrong in wanting some kind of exactness to the figure? My other offer at this point is very clear-cut. To complicate matters, I am on two waiting lists for schools which, if they came through, would offer excellent funding packages. Sorry if this seems rather mercenary, but the PhD IS a five-plus year commitment, after all, and I feel like it would be good to know just what I'm getting into from a financial standpoint. I'm wondering if anyone else is going through something similar right now.

Guest guest

I would ask some of the grad students you met during interviews (or if you didn't interview, someone else the school has told you about that you can contact), they definitely know about the money!

Guest metoo

Don't feel bad about wanting a decent amount to live on. As one professor told me, if your research is the most important thing, you need to have time to focus on it. Which you can't do if you are working full time. Money allows you to focus on your research, and I think it shows maturity to faculty members if you understand that and express your concerns to the appropriate person.

Guest metoo

Don't feel bad about wanting a decent amount to live on. As one professor told me, if your research is the most important thing, you need to have time to focus on it. Which you can't do if you are working full time. Money allows you to focus on your research, and I think it shows maturity to faculty members if you understand that and express your concerns to the appropriate person.