Is it possible to apply Ph.D program without research experience?

may huang

I'm a international student and I want to apply to Ph.D in US universities. My GPA is 3.9 and GRE 330. Because I am major in Chinese and minor in sociology, i barely have chance to publish paper or do specific research(only some essays from classes). Is it possible for me to enter a good Ph.D program?

Absolutely. I'm in a different, but related field and know a number of people who have been admitted to Sociology PhD programs without any research experience.

That being said, research experience does help and you will be going against people who have a lot of it. You need to focus on making a great overall packet and not just one part. If you have course papers in sociology maybe see if you can have a professor help edit it. If it has an original argument maybe you can present it at a conference. Talk to your sociology professors to see if they, or any of their graduate students, need research assistants. All of these things can help and, if you are applying for the next cycle, you have some time to do them.

Absolutely. I'm in a different, but related field and know a number of people who have been admitted to Sociology PhD programs without any research experience.

That being said, research experience does help and you will be going against people who have a lot of it. You need to focus on making a great overall packet and not just one part. If you have course papers in sociology maybe see if you can have a professor help edit it. If it has an original argument maybe you can present it at a conference. Talk to your sociology professors to see if they, or any of their graduate students, need research assistants. All of these things can help and, if you are applying for the next cycle, you have some time to do them.

Thanks for your patient reply. It's helpful! 

Your plan may be doable, depending how you define "good" programs. However, personally I advise against going to PhD program without research experience. It costs a lot of time and energy to get to a PhD program and adapt to a foreign environment. With these time and energy, one can do a lot of things. Research experience will not only strengthen your application; far more importantly, it will help you decide if it is worth the time and energy to pursue a PhD.

I strongly suggest that if possible, actively seek out opportunities to do at least some research before applying, whether in sociology or social sciences in general. Sociology professors sometimes need people to help with surveys, so if you ask them (I asked several professors before landing on something), it is possible that they will give you some work. Try!

I'm a international student and I want to apply to Ph.D in US universities. My GPA is 3.9 and GRE 330. Because I am major in Chinese and minor in sociology, i barely have chance to publish paper or do specific research(only some essays from classes). Is it possible for me to enter a good Ph.D program?

Your plan may be doable, depending how you define "good" programs. However, personally I advise against going to PhD program without research experience. It costs a lot of time and energy to get to a PhD program and adapt to a foreign environment. With these time and energy, one can do a lot of things. Research experience will not only strengthen your application; far more importantly, it will help you decide if it is worth the time and energy to pursue a PhD.

I strongly suggest that if possible, actively seek out opportunities to do at least some research before applying, whether in sociology or social sciences in general. Sociology professors sometimes need people to help with surveys, so if you ask them (I asked several professors before landing on something), it is possible that they will give you some work. Try!

How would writing a master's thesis in a terminal master's program fit into eventual doctoral applications? Do you think it's absolutely necessary? Or can an applicant still show ample research experience even if they pursue a non-thesis option? Sometimes I wonder if I'd benefit from more coursework. 

Edited by Matt12710

How would writing a master's thesis in a terminal master's program fit into eventual doctoral applications? Do you think it's absolutely necessary? Or can an applicant still show ample research experience even if they pursue a non-thesis option? Sometimes I wonder if I'd benefit from more coursework. 

I did a masters with thesis but mainly coursework, before applying to PhD. For my case, I did not get enough exposure to sociology/social research in undergrad, so I was neither prepared nor reasonably determined to do a PhD in sociology. So I believed it wise to do a Masters. Though some professors ask why I did not go straight to a PhD from undergrad, I still believe it was a reasonable decision--if financial conditions permit.

I had a research master option two years ago, but chose a master mainly by coursework (with a thesis) instead. I have been thinking about whether this choice is reasonable. For now, I feel what I get from course (especially intensive seminars) is important for me, because they exposed me to what sociology and sociological thinking are like. Yet, building on that, thesis is extremely important--the process of writing a thesis taught me a lot about actual research and became a (the?) key component in my application.

I would like to share one experience: after I did the thesis (spanning over nine months..), I found the most difficult courses are so easy. Original work is harder than critiquing, and critiquing is harder than just reading/listening. The experience of producing knowledge helps a lot with the ability to learn knowledge. So definitely do research, and do it consistently and relentlessly, even if you don't feel prepared.

Can you explain the difference between the "research master option" and the "masters with thesis but mainly coursework"? As I understand it, at least as American universities go, the only difference between a thesis and a non-thesis master's is six credits - one less course the third and fourth semesters for thesis work. 

Can you explain the difference between the "research master option" and the "masters with thesis but mainly coursework"? As I understand it, at least as American universities go, the only difference between a thesis and a non-thesis master's is six credits - one less course the third and fourth semesters for thesis work. 

You are right. The research master option is typically available at European-style universities; except for Europe, Hong Kong and Singapore also have such options.

From my own personal experiences so far I would say yes. When I was applying to programs I knew that my research experience was something I lacked compared to most others and I was scared that I wouldn't get in anywhere because of it. I have gotten into a few programs and I suspect that my LORs, grades, and personal statement were strong and made up for it at least somewhat. Also extensive personal experience with the field of Sociology I want to study may have been in my favor. I do believe, however, that the lack of research experience hurt my chances of getting into the higher tiered programs, like Princeton and Berkeley, both places that were very high on my list. 

Although research experience does help a lot, you can definitely get into excellent programs even without research experience as long as the rest of your application is great and your SOP / LORs can demonstrate a good understanding of what research entails / qualities that demonstrate potential for research.

The best piece of advice I have received whilst applying is "to remember that they are not looking for students who have already completed a PhD, just for students who will be able to complete one (well) !"