Miami University of Ohio

I applied to their English Masters program. I haven't heard a thing and, based on what I've seen on the search results, neither has anyone else. But then again, I haven't heard from the other three programs I applied to either. I'm really hoping we start to hear something in some sort of way or fashion some time relatively soon. Good luck1

Hi guys,

I'm an undergraduate senior at MU and am close to some of the profs on the admissions committee. I was told that only 2-3 people are getting into the graduate programs; I believe they meant TOTAL, PhD & MA. We're in a terrible situation right now; the graduate school just cut tons of our humanities graduate programs, and all of our scholarships and awards for undergrad were just cut as well..

Hi guys,

I was told that only 2-3 people are getting into the graduate programs; I believe they meant TOTAL, PhD & MA. We're in a terrible situation right now; the graduate school just cut tons of our humanities graduate programs, and all of our scholarships and awards for undergrad were just cut as well..

The above simply isn't true--at least not all of it. I am working on my MA in Rhet/Comp at MU, and although I have heard of some of the hardships, they haven't indicated anything as grave as what was mentioned. The entering cohort for 2008 was around 25 people, and they will not drop to a mere 2 or 3 total. They are having difficulties, like most schools, but as far as graduate programs within the Miami system are concerned, the English program was recently evaluated as the healthiest grad program in many factors. Having said that, however, each concentration has lost a line or two; for example, Lit PhD can admit one less person, Rhet Comp PhD one less, Rhet Comp MA 2 less [not sure of the exact numbers, but I hear the general idea is sound--a few less lines]. Not only have their admission lines gone down slightly, but overall applications have risen even from last year (which saw a significant jump), and the department is struggling with admitting in-house applicants (who all assume they are shoe-ins). It is slowly coming together. Most PhD candidates I know (who got their MA here) are taking offers elsewhere, freeing up lines and making the decisions easier. Hold on for a few more days, and best of luck!

Phew! I was assuming that simply could not be true. Thanks for the reassurance. I'm waiting for a response on a Masters (Literature) application, and understand that it may take longer for them to make MA decisions. Thanks again for the clarification; it's much appreciated.

I was discussing the Lit tracks only, not Comp & Rhet--sorry. I talked to two profs on the committee, and the best I can figure is they're taking 2-3 masters AND 2-3 PhD (for Lit), though at least one of the professors made it sound like this would be a dream situation. (I believe the entering class last year for Lit MA was 8 people; so it's not simply 1-2 people fewer.) I would love for these AdCom members to have been incorrect, for all of your sakes, but I doubt it.

I know NOTHING of Comp & Rhet. and did not mean to purport that I did.

I applied to the Lit track and was recently called by the DGS to let me know that I'm on the waiting list. She said that the program only accepted 5 people this year, but she didn't specify as to whether that was department-wide or simply within the track to which I applied.

Best of luck all.

capnganch: Out of frustrated/anxious curiosity: Did you apply to the Phd program or the MA program? And when you say "recently" do you mean today...? Don't mean to pry. I just haven't heard from ANY of my schools yet, and this is becoming cause for alarm, it seems. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...