Jump to content

visa status of international students who decide to drop out of a PhD

Recommended Posts

I am a second year PhD student in a top ranked school. I had a really bad adviser and two years into grad school, he decided to kick me out of the lab. So this seems like this is the end of my graduate career. I am hesistant to start over again because I have wasted so much time. If I decide to drop out of the PhD program and get a job does anyone know how the visa situation works out? Is it even legal to do so?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as I know, as soon as you are not a student you are out of status and you need to leave the US. I'm not sure if you can use any OPT (or the J-1 equivalent if one exists) if you don't graduate--but I think you can't and you are supposed to leave the country immediately or change status to another valid status (e.g. tourist). This is a question you need to clarify with the international students office at your school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone can correct me on this one, but as far as I can recall, you can be a OPT when:


1. you have been previously enrolled in your school and physically stayed in the U.S. for 1 academic year under your F-1 VISA, and

2. you have completed your degree.


Unless you can get out of your program with a MS almost immediately, otherwise, you are supposedly not allow to stay in the U.S.


Applying a OPT and getting an approval takes about 3 months, but let's just assume 3 +/- 2 months depends on your situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use