Syracuse

University of Pennsylvania

Temple

Pittsburgh

Delaware

WUSTL

Ohio State

Anyone else for early 20th century lit?

I just got my first acceptance letter--from Syracuse! I'm thrilled... they're up there, one of my top 2! I got an "informal" letter from the department telling me that I'd be getting a formal acceptance package from the graduate school shortly. I haven't heard about funding yet, though... it says they'll let me know "as soon as possible."

I'm totally in shock.

gradgirl said:
No word yet on any of mine either... I'm waiting on:

Penn State

Syracuse

Temple

Pittsburgh

Delaware

WUSTL

Ohio State

I'm still waiting on Temple as well. The secretary said the letters might not go out until the end of the month.

Just got wait-listed at Ohio State... number 4 on the list.

I double posted on the survey because I'm an idiot and I pressed enter to switch fields--one of the ones that says Accepted just before me is my error. Please disregard, I can't figure out a way to edit it/remove it. Sorry everyone :(

gradgirl said:
No word yet on any of mine either... I'm waiting on:

Penn State

Syracuse

Temple

Pittsburgh

Delaware

WUSTL

Ohio State

Has ANYONE heard ANYTHING on the English Ph.D. program at Washington University in St. Louis?

has ANYONE gotten rejected from Penn, Harvard or WashU? I'm 99% sure I'm not getting in, and I just want some closure...

Any idea when we might hear?

?

I have heard from Rutgers - posted on line

UTexas - on line

I read that Pitt has called the students they accepted and e-mailed their wait-listed.

Still waiting on WashU's official rejection (I heard that they had an unexpected number of students apply), Penn State and U Mass Amherst.

Any advice?

I am going insane waiting. Why is my self worth tied to this so intrinsically?

Anonymous said:
?

I have heard from Rutgers - posted on line

UTexas - on line

I read that Pitt has called the students they accepted and e-mailed their wait-listed.

Still waiting on WashU's official rejection (I heard that they had an unexpected number of students apply), Penn State and U Mass Amherst.

Any advice?

I am going insane waiting. Why is my self worth tied to this so intrinsically?

Hi - I got rejected from WUSTL today, they sent a letter. It was my first choice and the only university I really wanted to attend.

Hey gradgirl, are you still waitlisted at Ohio State? If you are, are you planning on going to the admitted student Open House? I asked if I could because I figured if I do get admitted, it will be good to have gone, and hopefully I'll hear one way or the other by the date of the Open House (3/30). They said it's not a problem if I go, but now I'm totally nervous about it! I have to list faculty I'm interested in meeting, and I know who I want to meet, but I'm going to be completely intimidated and tongue tied when I do.

Hey gradgirl, are you still waitlisted at Ohio State? If you are, are you planning on going to the admitted student Open House? I asked if I could because I figured if I do get admitted, it will be good to have gone, and hopefully I'll hear one way or the other by the date of the Open House (3/30). They said it's not a problem if I go, but now I'm totally nervous about it! I have to list faculty I'm interested in meeting, and I know who I want to meet, but I'm going to be completely intimidated and tongue tied when I do.

Hmm.. I didn't know about it so I hadn't been planning on it. I'm only about 3 hours from Columbus right now, but I don't have a vehicle. I might just wait until (if) I get in, and try to see if I can make arrangements to visit after that on a non-open-house day. I will probably email the guy at OSU and see if I've moved up the list at all toward the end of the month. Right now OSU is kind of in the middle of my list of choices of places I'd like to go, but they're going to be moving up the list quickly once the rejections start flowing in.

I've heard from so few programs at this point, and I feel like all these places are having open houses and stuff and I haven't been invited to any. It's kind of intimidating. I heard Penn State is having one the weekend of the 17th, for MA students at least, and I don't know if that means I didn't get into their PhD program since they didn't invite me or if they just don't invite PhD candidates to the same open house. I wish schools would just mail their damn rejection letters already...my patience is really starting to wear thin.

Meeting faculty would be a little scary, especially if you're still on the wait list. Are they going to know you're still on the wait list? If you already know who you want to meet, if I were you i might read up a little on them if you haven't already. If you go in there knowing stuff about them it will probably help with the intimidation factor...and just keep in mind, if you get in there you're going to have to NOT be intimidated in order to successfully work with these people and gain the most from your experience without it being really awful. It's a good chance to find out how approachable (or not) the faculty is.

But, easy for me to say since I wasn't planning on going :)

Also... I got rejected from Pitt today. 5 to go...still waiting on : Penn State, Temple, Delaware, Upenn, and Marquette. And funding from Syracuse. Sadly, I'm pretty sure Delaware and Upenn are done deals...I don't know about Temple, and I don't care about Marquette (they were my safety school, but now I'm pretty sure I'd rather take a year off than go there). Penn State's where it's at. Sigh.

Guest awesome
gradgirl said:
Also... I got rejected from Pitt today. 5 to go...still waiting on : Penn State, Temple, Delaware, Upenn, and Marquette. And funding from Syracuse. Sadly, I'm pretty sure Delaware and Upenn are done deals...I don't know about Temple, and I don't care about Marquette (they were my safety school, but now I'm pretty sure I'd rather take a year off than go there). Penn State's where it's at. Sigh.

Don't feel too bad, I hear Penn received over 700 apps. You'll hear from Penn State sometime in June...sucks. Temple has the fantabulous Samuel Delaney!

I think I would be *slightly* less petrified if I knew I was admitted. I've been out of school for 4 years and working in insurance, so I feel like I've gone soft in the head and filled my brain with a bunce of insurance nonsense. I'm so worried I won't be able to have an intelligent academic conversation. I'm going to do my homework on the people I put on the form, and I think that will make me feel a lot better. I don't feel like there's anything I could do at this point to get them to admit me if they simply don't have the spots available, but I do feel like there are a lot of stupid things I could do to make them say, "What were we thinking when we put her on the waitlist?!" Anyway, it's too bad you're not going because we could have chatted together about waitlist woes. I'm only about 2.5 hours away from Columbus, and I'm pretty much looking for any excuse to take a day off of work, so I'll be there. Good luck on the rest of your decisions!

Guest Paddy_Conscience

Yeah, doesn't it take the sting out of rejection letters if you know you got in someplace? I've been rejected at WashU and have not yet heard anything from NYU, Columbia, UPenn, or University of Delaware. I know some of these schools had relatively late deadlines, and as long as I haven't heard ANYTHING from them I may still be in the running, but having your future up in the air for a period of a month or longer is definitely not fun. If all else fails, I can stay where I am and I'll still get a PhD, but it's a second-tier program and, well, I'd like a stronger springboard into the profession and a more open ideological atmosphere (the university where I'm currently finishing my MA is a little overly conservative for my Marxist tastes). Also, my fiancee would really rather not move out of New York, where she has a really good job. But hey, what can you do? Just sit back and wait and hope and wait and hope and curse your stupid mailman and wait and hope...

I just discovered that you can check your app status on the U of Delaware website... and when I did, it's saying they've not received my writing sample!! I sent it along with all of the other stuff--how can they not have it?? I overnighted it in an envelope with my recommendations, a copy of my GRE scores, and a couple other things. Those of you who have gotten in/heard from Delaware--was it showing all of your stuff as "received" on the website? Who do I contact about this--the grad school or the dept office?

This sucks so much... I might've paid $60 for nothing if they've already made their decisions and lost my writing sample somehow :( Damnit damnit damnit... and I have to worry until tomorrow because it's Sunday now.

Guest Delyth

I was the earlier anon accepted to Delaware.

Delaware's been having problems with the online application submission process. My listed materials never came up as all 'arrived,' plus they actually lost my writing sample and two of my letters. I got an email from the English graduate director about a week and a half ago asking me if I was still interested, and if I could re-send those materials. I frantically contacted the two professors whose letters had gone missing, and emailed an electronic copy of my writing sample. About 5 hours later they sent me an acceptance email. I got in because my research interests match well, and they liked the sample I sent (it was a chapter from my senior thesis on Bradford's _Of Plymouth Plantation_.)

The graduate director is new this year and there have been (good) changes made to the department's doctoral program, so the confusion and chaos is somewhat understandable. They also just made three major hires, two directly related to my field of American Colonial. I know all this because I just got back from a campus visit. Everyone there, from the graduate secretary to the director to the professors I spoke with, was very, very nice, so I encourage you to email any questions you have.

Guest Delyth

Also -- I am still receiving messages from Delaware's online application system telling me that my application was never finished and submitted. I started an application way early -- November, I think it was, and have been receiving these messages ever since. Even after actually submitting my app AND being accepted. So . . . take whatever is posted on their application site with a grain of salt.