Confused!! Conflicting signals by dept

silverlines

applied for nutrition, phd program, got a phone interview with POI next to next week, although, my app status says 'waitlisted by dept', what should i make of these conflicting signals?

from what I infer, a phone interview generally means they are interested, but then why does the satus say 'waitlisted'. Is it possible that the status doesnt mean what it implies?

I'm in a different field but from what I understand, a phone interview or in person interview means they are interested in you and you've risen above other applicants to stand out. However, the interview is still a part of the selection process and nearly every school will interview more students than they plan to accept.

Being waitlisted isn't a bad thing but it's a weird feeling I'd imagine. Basically the school has decided you're a good candidate but there's a few others they want to make offers to first. Depending on their policy you're either waitlsted for an interview slot or better yet you're waitlisted for an offer of admission. If someone ranked higher than you declines the interview/acceptance (whatever the waitlist is for) then you move up on the waitlist. If you're next in line and the person above you declines, to me that's a good sign you'll hear good news.

It means youre not the top choice, but a top choice.  If others decline, you will be admitted.

I do know what 'waitlisted' means, my question is- while I also have an interview with a POI,I also am waitlisted, arent these two things kinda conflicting?

I'm in a different field but from what I understand, a phone interview or in person interview means they are interested in you and you've risen above other applicants to stand out. However, the interview is still a part of the selection process and nearly every school will interview more students than they plan to accept.

Being waitlisted isn't a bad thing but it's a weird feeling I'd imagine. Basically the school has decided you're a good candidate but there's a few others they want to make offers to first. Depending on their policy you're either waitlsted for an interview slot or better yet you're waitlisted for an offer of admission. If someone ranked higher than you declines the interview/acceptance (whatever the waitlist is for) then you move up on the waitlist. If you're next in line and the person above you declines, to me that's a good sign you'll hear good news.

thanks, i think that your analysis could be spot on

I do know what 'waitlisted' means, my question is- while I also have an interview with a POI,I also am waitlisted, arent these two things kinda conflicting?

No its actually fairly common for a waitlisted person to still meet and interview with a POI. 

Sometimes POIs have a small say once you are waitlisted, and, if they like you, they may also put in a good word.

Ps. Waitlisted means that on some list somewhere, youre number 2, 3, 4, 5, or some other number, and you will be offered admission if the people above you decline or fall out.

Edited by |||

Perhaps they chose all the applicants they want on the waitlist, and now they're interviewing them to decide their ranking on the list.

I think this is the case too. Coz they are going to interview US based candidates on the 22 feb visit weekend and they didnt invite me coz I am an international applicant