Graduate School Decision Process

DarwinAG

Since interviews are winding down and offers are being made, I thought it may be a good idea to share each other's decision process. I actually would like to know what variable you think is the most important. What's least important? I actually plan to sit down and really think it through. I figured I owe it to myself to really consider my options and not just go with the peripheral route, so that I won't think question my decision in the future. Here are a few things I will consider when making a decision in no particular order:

-Adviser personality fit

-Research fit

-Graduate student culture

-Oppurtunites for collaboration with other faculty/students

-Grant writing training/support

-Mentorship and academic service oppurtunities

-Quality of life

-Availability of kareoke bars and dance clubs

-Oppurtunites to learn new methodology

-Teaching oppurtunities

-Funding

What's on top of your list?

For me it was everything you listed (except the karaoke/dance club ;)) that made me certain that my top choice school was indeed my best option. I feel very lucky that my favorite supervisor was also at my favorite school & location because I don't have to give up my lifestyle for a reserch fit. Another factor that made me really happy and confident about my choice was the supportive and cohesive environment of the department and grad students.

I think your list is comprehensive, DarwinAG.  I would say that in my experience, the work you'll be doing and who you are doing it for/with matters more than anything else.

I moved across the country for a job a few years ago.  The situation was similiar to what prospective PhDs may be facing.  I was sure I would not like the town (coming from San Francisco, I was sort of a snob with my prejudices about the Midwest).  But I knew I would love the job and the opportunity was a rare one.  I did not know a soul in the new town and I'd moved here alone.  I'd only met my new boss once during the interview.  I also worried that my lifestyle, political persuasion, and general life philosophy were going to be at odds with the culture here.   I came for the great job opportunity and decided I would just cope the best I could with the rest of it.

I found that the actual location did not matter much.  Here's my guess as to why:  how you see a place depends on who are you seeing it with and what you are doing there.  I met great people outside of my job; I did great work.  All else fell into place.  I began to see the town the way my great new friends saw it.  I found people like me who showed me that even here in Louisville, KY, there are fantastic arts venues and amazing outdoor activities and a rather wild subculture full of crazy individuals doing their own thing -- not to mention the unbelievable local restaurants on every corner!  Now I love it here and hate the prospect of leaving.  But I will gladly leave for another opportunity to do great work with a great boss (or professor) -- no matter what the town or "quality of life" is listed as.

Even on the job (analogous to grad student culture), staff changed over the years I was there, and as a result the day-to-day culture shifted many times.  What remained constant was the over-arching cultural identity of the company. 

I don't know if your list is in any particular order, but if so, I would recommend putting quality of life (and maybe even kareoke) down at the bottom.  If all those other things are in place, the town just becomes a reflection of that.

Edited by Bren2014

There is a similar thread here:

But basically what I said there is that I already made lists and was systematic about which schools I applied to, so now I am going with the feel of the place and the feeling I get interacting with the place. My situation may be different because I didn't apply to safety schools and they were all pretty much equal caliber. So what matters most to me in the decision process is feeling like I can like the people I'm working with and be happy over the next five or six years in that environment. And for me, that means trusting my instinct!

- Personal fit (note: I am married & have two small children; the fact my future mentor has three children of his own, and one of my future lab-mates has a toddler is very comforting to me as a mother)

- Research fit

- Employment opportunities for my husband

- Funding

Here's my dilemma so far until I hear back from other schools:

School A: All the graduate students seem happy; young faculty and rising stars willing to collaborate and work with students, but no distinguished faculty; research fit is strong; smaller program; POI is a younger faculty member that is still learning how to be an effective mentor; program is well respected; climate is warm and supportive.

School B: Graduate students are comfortable, but feel that the program's structure is too loose; POI is a rising star and really develops his students; researh fit is the strongest of the three; the program is not as respected as school A or C; climate is sporadic in that it varies as a function of the faculty's mood.

School C:  All the graduate students seem miserable; a group of distinguished faculty and a few rising stars; less opportunities for collaboration; research fit is strong, but not as strong as school A; large program; POI is extremely supportive and is one of the most respected in the field; program is elite; climate is political and gossipy.

Should I favor school C because of its reputation and the supportive relationship from my POI even though all the graduate students are miserable (beyond the normal grad school misery)?

-OR-

Should I favor school A because of the warm and supportive environment even though the faculty are not yet well-established?

-OR-

Should I favor school B because of the strong research fit with the POI even though the program is not as respected and the climate is sporadic?

any thoughts?

Edited by Peaceful Learner

Personally, I would avoid any school where the students are miserable. This is, of course, a personal choice. Someone from a high stress background, or with a very high tolerance for stress might feel differently. However, it also depends on why they're miserable. You mention the POI is extremely supportive... what exactly is making everyone miserable?

If School A is really gaining a good reputation, and you can reasonably expect it to continue to do so, I would go that route. After all, you're going to be there for five or more years, so by the time you get out, their reputation will have continued to improve.

Personally, I would avoid any school where the students are miserable. This is, of course, a personal choice. Someone from a high stress background, or with a very high tolerance for stress might feel differently. However, it also depends on why they're miserable. You mention the POI is extremely supportive... what exactly is making everyone miserable?

If School A is really gaining a good reputation, and you can reasonably expect it to continue to do so, I would go that route. After all, you're going to be there for five or more years, so by the time you get out, their reputation will have continued to improve.

Thanks for the feedback RubyBright. The students are miserable because of the politics, the intense rigors of the program (even though all programs are tough, this department's culture seemingly takes pride in breaking down its students), and the fact that they don't have the close support that the POI I was accepted under provides.

A or B - factors I would take into consideration in selecting between these are:

Since B has a relatively 'loose' structure, you may in fact have more flexibility in designing your own customized research agenda and collaborative network, as long as you are confident of navigating your way around independently.

Since B is not as reputed as A - how different is it really in terms of publication history, and placement record. Depending on whether your POI at B has an active and quality publication record, and a good external collaborative network such that he can provide support at the time of placement (you can perhaps speak to existing grad students on that aspect?) this may or may not be an issue.

I would avoid C. If one or two students are miserable, I chalk it up to the students. If a lot of them are miserable.....

Were you happier at school A or B? I'd go with whichever one fit you better; I think the relative positives and negatives of each are negligible.

A or B - factors I would take into consideration in selecting between these are:

Since B has a relatively 'loose' structure, you may in fact have more flexibility in designing your own customized research agenda and collaborative network, as long as you are confident of navigating your way around independently.

Since B is not as reputed as A - how different is it really in terms of publication history, and placement record. Depending on whether your POI at B has an active and quality publication record, and a good external collaborative network such that he can provide support at the time of placement (you can perhaps speak to existing grad students on that aspect?) this may or may not be an issue.

I would avoid C. If one or two students are miserable, I chalk it up to the students. If a lot of them are miserable.....

Were you happier at school A or B? I'd go with whichever one fit you better; I think the relative positives and negatives of each are negligible.

Thank you all so much for the feedback.  It definitely helps my thought processes. I sensed that I could be happy at school A, but it's tough to really gauge the environment on a recruitment weekend. It's going to be tough to make a decision.