Anyone apply to Anthro programs internationally?

StenderB

As you can see below, I applied to two anthro programs abroad.

Where have you applied? Why? Excited?

I recently read the tumblr post of someone accepted into the SDSU anthro program (a program I was highly interested in during app season a few months ago).  I connected with them to ask what they wrote about and what their intentions were for the applied track.  Turns out, my intention of using applied anthro for work with at-risk communities and their access or lack of resources and dealings with social services agencies was close to what she had written about.  Well, too late for me on this one.  I guess if I wasn't confident enough to go for it then it wasn't right for me right now anyways.

Ironically, I had lots of confidence writing an SoP to the Swedish graduate schools lol

I am also wondering about anthropology programs in Europe/Canada. I am particularly interested in medical anthropology programs, and I found a few in the UK (LSE, UCL, Brunel) as well as Amsterdam (University of Amsterdam). Also, I noticed that McGill has one as well.

I am a EU citizen, so the cost of a masters in Europe would be dirt cheap for me, compared to U.S. masters programs. Also, the tuition at McGill is quite low, even for international students.

However, I am wondering how an international degree in anthropology would be received in the US? (I may end up in some other country eventually, but just in case I choose to stay in the US long-term).

Does anyone have any insights into this?

Thank you!   B)

This sounds super elitist and arrogant, so take it for what its worth, but I was really excited about Goldsmiths anthropology program and wanted to apply there for my PhD.  However, I was warned by many academics that if you intend to live and work in the US, a foreign PhD will be looked down upon (I think largely because they are shorter).  The caveat was that would likely be less true if you went to Oxford or Cambridge.  

This sounds super elitist and arrogant, so take it for what its worth, but I was really excited about Goldsmiths anthropology program and wanted to apply there for my PhD.  However, I was warned by many academics that if you intend to live and work in the US, a foreign PhD will be looked down upon (I think largely because they are shorter).  The caveat was that would likely be less true if you went to Oxford or Cambridge.  

You know, this isn't the first time I've read that others have been told the same thing.  I honestly wonder what the impression of a foreign PhD (or Master's) is that it would be looked down upon. Hmmmm. Good insight though because whether we think the impression is right or wrong it still seems to be one filmy layer that others in the U.S. and in academia look through when they read you have a foreign degree in anything. ~sigh~

I can only speak to Master's programs since that's what I've researched extensively and applied to but I know at least in Sweden there's the option for most programs to also only go for 1 year instead of 2.  This sounds like something that would play a role in someone's idea that even a foreign grad degree is "less rigorous" or just well, "less" in general.

I am also wondering about anthropology programs in Europe/Canada. I am particularly interested in medical anthropology programs, and I found a few in the UK (LSE, UCL, Brunel) as well as Amsterdam (University of Amsterdam). Also, I noticed that McGill has one as well.

I am a EU citizen, so the cost of a masters in Europe would be dirt cheap for me, compared to U.S. masters programs. Also, the tuition at McGill is quite low, even for international students.

However, I am wondering how an international degree in anthropology would be received in the US? (I may end up in some other country eventually, but just in case I choose to stay in the US long-term).

Does anyone have any insights into this?

Thank you!   B)

Have you checked out programs in Sweden (maybe even just Scandinavia in general)?  Many of their anthro and social work programs that I was researching (and have applied to) seemed quite focused on health in general (public, medical anthro, etc.).  The one thing that was both helpful and confusing was that many of the anthro programs I researched had their research and faculty bios available showing me what the school seemed to generally promote as far as topics in research BUT that there was still such a wide scope of topics that it wasn't like "this school is known for ______" necessarily-- (making it sometimes easier when you know what area of anthro you want to concentrate on like you do as well as what school specializes in said area).

And just as a side note: *I AM REALLY EXCITED TO POSSIBLY GET INTO A FOREIGN PROGRAM* :P

Edited by StenderB

In relation to programs in the UK, I would say that LSE is regarded even more highly than Oxbridge.  UCL is also on the list where it would be fairly manageable.  Beyond that, you probably are going to struggle a little with a PhD from a British institution. 

I can speak mostly to the British system, and the fact is (bad anthropologist, I know) that you come out of a British PhD program having had a far more focused and far less general education.  You do a one year Masters, where you take classes, and beyond that you're really just concentrating on your own project.  There aren't the opportunities for that much teaching, and from my experience it's pretty unheard of that you are able to actually teach a class yourself while you're a PhD candidate.  (Of course, the undergraduate education in the UK gives you the broad education in anthropology that you don't really get in the US undergraduate system, but from what I can tell that is generally skimmed over in these discussions.)

That said, it really depends on what you produce.  Goldsmiths, for example, is cutting edge in many ways, and if you're dazzling the field with your sharp insights (due in large part to the mentoring you received at Goldsmiths) then you'll be able to get a job in the States afterwards.  Especially if you get a post doc position in the US and have a good publishing record, then you're in with a shout.  But simply being in Europe to start with puts you at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to getting jobs in the States, as you most likely won't have been able to forge those connections with people at the AAAs, for example.

If we're talking about Masters only, it's a different ballpark.  If you're doing it to get into a PhD program, it will generally be cheaper to do it in Europe than the US and what matters is that you get a good letter and produce a good writing sample while you're there.  Given that you almost always have to do the Masters as part of the PhD program in any case, I don't think a European Masters would hurt your application at all.  Indeed the exposure to the European system could work to your advantage.  A European Masters will certainly not prevent you getting in - I have a UK Masters and have been accepted to several US PhD programs.  (The main question is whether a Masters is worth the investment if you want to do a US PhD program in any case, of course...) 

A caveat to all this - my opinions based on my experiences, lots of people will disagree, horrible generalizations etc etc

Socanth - said very well!

I also have a masters from the UK and I think it was the tipping point for me getting into US PhDs this year. Despite the monetary investment, I gained a lot of valuable experience and did really well (much better than undergrad) AND it was only a one year program. That said, personally I don't think I'd want a UK PhD, due to various reasons but mostly lack of funding and length to degree....though depending on your career path and research interests, I don't think it would hurt you.