Transfer/Leave MFA program---

midwestnorthside

I had a teacher of mine tell me before I left for my MFA that "grad school, for the most part, is generally a miserable time for everyone." And while I've learned and have grown a tremendous amount, there is part of that statement that is very true. 

If you're in a two year program, and have already almost completed your first year, just stick it out. At least you'll be done and you can move on to residencies, travelling, shows, teaching, etc. It's not worth the headache of transferring and starting over. 

If you're in a three year program and HATE and LOATHE everything and everyone around you, then maybe you'd want to think about it. But again, keep in mind that your credits most likely won't transfer and you'd be starting from scratch. 

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any tips on "transferring" from one MFA program to another? Specifically, my friend wants to leave the MFA Painting program in which she is currently enrolled in the Spring of 2015 and begin in another MFA program in the Fall of 2015. She is finishing up her applications to programs right now. She will just begin again in another program if she is accepted. The main questions we have are as follows:

1. Should the schools to which she is applying be informed that she is transferring from another MFA program?

2. And, related to this above question, should information about the school in which she is currently enrolled be sent to the schools to which she is applying - like transcripts, TA positions, etc.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Personally, I would not informed them of my previously attend school, unless there was a chance that I could transfer credits or if the school specifically ask if I attending a previous MFA program on the application or during an interview. If they don't ask, then don't tell.

At the end of the day it's about your portfolio...

Good luck