UCL vs LSE

ErikE

Hey guys!

Hope everyone is holding out well.

I've received a few offers from some universities in the UK and I was hoping to get some feedback on what people think is the best way to go.

Basically, I've received three offers so far: one from Durham (MSc Peace, Conflict Resolution and Security), LSE (MSc Public Policy and Administration), and UCL (MSc Public Policy) and I am quite stuck concerning where to go. I think, although I went to Exeter for my undergrad and really enjoyed the small city life, I am leaning towards UCL and LSE. But, considering that they both have a pretty awesome reputation and fantastic courses, I am not sure about who to go for. I am more attracted to the professor's in UCL's School of Public Policy, and their tuition fees are significantly lower to those of LSE (9000 vs 17000), but on the other hand, LSE course seems really interesting and its global reputation is definitely impressive.
I am also waiting for Oxford and Uppsala (Sweden) to answer, but Oxford's tuition increase to 31k is making it virtually impossible for me to join them.

So: penny for your thoughts?

As a Brit, I can understand why the choice is so difficult. In the UK the two unis would generally be considered neck and neck in terms of elite status. Mind you, UCL does regularly score higher in the general rankings (although I'd wager, the LSE outperforms UCL on social sciences alone).

What you need to consider is what you want to get out of the MSc and how likely you are to get it. For example, if you were hoping to bond with the Profs and get to know their research better, you're definitely on the wrong track with the LSE. I've heard it from a couple of sources that the LSE's Masters are just fundraising exercises. Large classes, high fees, little real community spirit or personal attention. If you like the Profs at UCL better, maybe you'll find it easier to build relationships with them than at the LSE.

Also, which of the universities is better known by the employers in your field? When a prospective employer looks at your CV, it's always nice if they instantly trust the name of your university. So check which would make a better impact - UCL or LSE. And I mean, not just in the UK, but internationally. That's my advice.

DeMoomin, thank you very much for your answer! Truth be told, although I do prefer the professors at UCL, given that I am not planning on pursuing an academic career (yet), I do not see the merit in choosing a university based on the professors. I would like to study under people who I respect and whose theories I am interested in, but at the end of the day, how much does it matter? Especially in the UK MSc system, where you only get a year in graduate school, it feels to me that the importance of the academics dwindles in significance. The LSE, apart from offering a good modules and excellent non-academic opportunities (visiting lecturers/practitioners), also provides me with a powerful name in my field. Nothing turns heads as quickly as LSE in the field of politics and economics. Or perhaps I am being a bit too crude about the whole thing, I don't know. It just feels so unfair that I need to pick LSE over UCL simply because more people know of it... I think the biggest problem is me fighting against my conscience

Oxford WILL always support you in times of financial difficulty - particularly if you pick your college right (look at their funding pages, and/or choose historically "rich" colleges). But legally you still have to prove you will be able to have enough money to pay for it before you get there. Finances really, really should not get in your way if Oxford accepts you and you would have chosen it as your top choice. It's something a great number of people here are passionate about. You can always contact the student union grad officer if you are worried; they will do their best to help. (Dare I say it's also exactly the small city life!)

Between UCL and LSE... I don't know enough about your particular field to be able to give a proper opinion - but yes, in general opinion they seem to be neck and neck...

Cheers Oopalfrootz! I take it you are speaking from experience ;)
Honestly, although LSE is probably slightly (and I do mean slightly) better at my field than Oxford, Oxford would be a dream come. It must be the history part of my degree, but somehow there is nothing quite like the idea of living and studying in a place such as Oxford. Fingers firmly crossed!
Could you maybe forward me a link of the student union grad officer to keep under consideration in the off chance that Oxford accepts?
Once again, thank you for your answer!

Oxford is a brilliant city to be in - not just because it's 'pretty' - it's full of opportunities (but then so is London, isn't it?). It is certainly a mad place to live in. I would stroooongly recommend it as a place to study, especially if you're only here for a year or two (after 3.5 years, the novelty is wearing off for me I admit, but I loved it for the first three). 

Chris Gray is the Vice Pres for Graduates of the student union; you can get him on graduates at ousu dot org. :)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

I was in your same position a year ago - it actually prompted me to get an account on here so I could give you some first hand experience. I am from North America, so was out of the loop on the real state of affairs. As a current student of the LSE program, I will let you know what I would have done differently - and that is attend UCL. I have friends attending the MSc  in Public Policy at UCL who are getting much more out of their program in terms of employment prospects...the program coordinators work hard to set them up with employment opportunities and valuable networks as well as funding for PhD studies. This is absolutely critical due to the  harsh reality of today's economy. For the LSE program, you should have an interest in management - staffing and organizational theory as well as an interest in public policy. In terms of cache, UCL is ranked amongst the top unis in the world on world rankings, time and time again, whereas LSE is often not part of that group. I hate to say it may be true that the vast number of MSc's LSE offers may just be opportunities to enhance revenue as opposed to setting students up for real success. The program is also more expensive and my UCL counterparts will have less debt (and probably much better positions after the program to top it all off). If you were studying an economics subject, LSE's name holds brand recognition and I'd say the choice is clear .....but in this field, I would say go for the UCL and do not find yourself in the same position I am in. Do not get me wrong...studying at LSE has been a good experience (and challenging!) but it is not the experience you will get at UCL. The School of Public Policy at UCL is the only one geared entirely towards graduate studies - it is THE policy school in London for post-grads.

PS!!! It goes without saying that you should choose Oxford if you get in. As you know, it is ranked even better than UCL on world rankings..and would top the other programs.