$7.5k in Milwaukee

Guest dettociao

Guest dettociao

Is $7.5k in Milwaukee (for 9 months, no word on summer funding-- I could always just work) enough to live on? Anyone living on it or less with any good tips? It seems really low, but it's a MA program...

Guest imnotjesus

Rent will cost $400-600, depending on your needs and willingness to have a roommate. Heating costs can really be a pain in the winter, but some apartments include heat. I spend about $9k a year in Milwaukee right now as a grad student, so $7.5k might be tough without another source of $$$.

Guest dettociao

I'm guessing I'll pickup summer work in the department, or somewhere in the city. And there's always a few small loans....so you live on 9k, eh? With food and all? I guess it's doable then.

Guest imnotjesus
so you live on 9k, eh? With food and all? I guess it's doable then.

yeah, i have two roommates, both of which are somewhat generous in providing me some edible support when i'm a little short.

$7.5k is pretty good $$$ for an MA program. Most people don't get much support at all from UWM (including yours truly).