MPH Funding?

pomtown

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some insights about the funding process that might help me wrap my brain around the costs/benefits of my degree.

Accepted:

- Boston U ($10K merit)

- Columbia

- Drexel ($15K merit for each of 2 years)

- Washington University in St. Louis

- SUNY-Albany

- Yale

It seems like Drexel is the obvious choice, just because their funding offer is so substantial. But, am I selling myself short by going to a less competitive / lower ranked / newer program? Would the additional loans I'd have to take out to fund, say, Columbia, be worth it?

I'm interested in a discussion that might help others in similar situations. I'm planning on getting my MPH in Social/Behavioral with a focus in Public Health Communication/Marketing (WashU is my personal top choice for this reason). I'm also planning on deferring enrollment for one year, to continue working and paying down debts from undergrad.

Tough call.. I know WUSTL has a great curriculum and you might be able to get a paid internship.

How is Drexel's program in your specialty area? Not in terms of rankings but in terms of how well it fits what you are looking for. Personally I wouldn't go to a second or third choice school for only $10,000, but $30,000 would be much harder to turn down...