While You Wait... Advice

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you governmentGovernment affairs people would have some advice for me. I am deciding between applying to IR programs and Phd in Sociology.

I already have an area studies Masters, but most of my coursework focused more on the history and culture of my region of interest (back then I was preparing myself for applications to Phd programs in Anthropology). And so, The IR degree would be worth while as I could focus more keenly on the political and economic considerations of policy in practice and how develop skills in conflict resolution.

My goal/intention is work in the policy field as well as academia and am see either degree as a means of achieving this goal. But, maybe I am not being realistic.

The way I see it, if I applied and got into a Sociology Phd program, I could intern with international orgs at least for a few summers and perhaps also during the year of field research in order to get some headway in the Public affairs job market by graduation.

If I did the IR Masters I would intern while getting the degree, and then of course work for several years getting a firm grounding in the field and then go back for a Phd later in life, but after becoming an established, mid career professional.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else been in/currently in my dilemma?

Thanks.

I would love to hear others' thoughts as well, as there are a few of us here applying to both policy masters programs and doctoral programs. I was recently accepted into both a doctoral and a masters program and am weighing my options as to which route to take.

My goal is to work in an applied setting either something along the lines international program creation and evaluation in the health, social, and education fields, or in some other support type capacity like what I am currently doing. I have no interest in research, and even my doctoral program is very applied in nature.

You are right, interning with an international org would allow you to gain entrance and contacts in the job market; and this can be done on all degree levels. You might want to consider the combined time it would take to get the degrees though. Each year spent off the job market is a huge opportunity cost in potential earnings assuming the job market improves in your intended field.

I am thinking it would take a lot for you to break out of work to go back to school down the line if you get a good job you really like, assuming you go for the masters first. I would figure it would not be worth it if you land something you really like that gives you a variety of options.

If you have the motivation now, I would suggest going the PhD route because it could potentially open more doors in the long run than having just a masters (even though you say you would later pursue the doctorate). Also, since you will likely be funded in a doctoral program, why shell out money for a masters program and put yourself into debt? The level of debt you end up with could seriously influence the type of job you take after graduation. And the goal is to do something you actually like right?

Sorry if this seems jumbled. This is my attempt to make sense of it all for me as well.

Thanks FSIA, it feels good to know that someone else is approaching this issue.

I hear ya on the funding, but the issue with the Phd is also one of longevity. It's no secret that a lot of people drop out and it would be such as waste, especially if I turned down the chance to obtain a very relevant degree.

There is also the question of grooming and support. from what I understand Phd programs especially the top ones tend to have mentors that want to groom you to be like them, i.e. research academics and am thinking it would be easier to sway me from my academia/public policy line without coming in with a background that squarely speaks to that.

Your doctoral program sounds like good fit though. Might I ask is it one of the top ones for that field, or is its pull more about its charm and offering a more applied approach than the standard top-10/top 15 research institutions.

Thanks for your response, I guess things will have to be jumbled until we each figure out what works best for us.

I hear ya on the funding, but the issue with the Phd is also one of longevity. It's no secret that a lot of people drop out and it would be such as waste, especially if I turned down the chance to obtain a very relevant degree.

There is also the question of grooming and support. from what I understand Phd programs especially the top ones tend to have mentors that want to groom you to be like them, i.e. research academics and am thinking it would be easier to sway me from my academia/public policy line without coming in with a background that squarely speaks to that.

Your doctoral program sounds like good fit though. Might I ask is it one of the top ones for that field, or is its pull more about its charm and offering a more applied approach than the standard top-10/top 15 research institutions.

You hit it spot on. I am also very concerned about the length of time it would take to complete the degree. My program anticipates 4 years til completion. And from the very heavy course load the first year I can see how they came up with that number. I am worried about burnout from the load too, but we will see about that. I would likely have to spread the load, resulting in more than 4 years.

I am fortunate that my advisor is involved in the types of things I like to do. He teaches and is still in the tenure process, but his major duties consist of evaluating programs around the world. So I am sure he will help me develop the skills I will need for what I want to do. I laughed at the email he sent me yesterday inviting me to come to his office for a visit after he returns from his 3 country trip. I made it very clear in my proposal to all of my schools that I was not interested in research for a career, and that I had no plans of going into academia. I assume they read and understood that since I was still accepted.

And yes, the program is at the top of the field. But it doesn't matter. What mattered more to me was whether I would get the support and training I needed from the school. And I believe I can, but still need to think it over because the time commitment is serious, and I am simply not trying to be a student forever :)