Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

Thanks for clearing that up Centcan. I probably should have emphasized that some of my points were things that I heard, and were not necessarily the complete picture. Also, you touched on a good point, which is that Toronto is home to some of the best research hospitals in North America (ex. Sunnybrook), and may offer some unique clinical learning experiences. Also, the thing about U of T's "weighed lottery" system is that many students end up picking the same placements as their #1 choice. So, although the system is designed to give as many people their preferred placements as possible, most of the students end up with placements that are half-way down their list or further.

I'd say you should go to McGill, not because I know anything about the program, but because Montreal is one of the best cities in the world! I love it there... Or you could always join Jordan and I at "Hellborn." (Haven't actually met Jordan yet, btw, and my name is Tim).

Congrats on getting in, fellow XY.

Hi all,

I am definitely leaning towards Toronto- even after reading these posts. I have friends that did the program both at Western and Toronto. 2 of my friends at Toronto (one graduated just 2 years ago) were hired on by their external placements once they had completed the program. Just the networking that is available in the GTA is a huge factor for me! When I went to Western, I was told that there is only 2 external placements (outside of the clinic). That being said, I have heard nothing but positives about the Western program and know both schools have amazing reputations. I am sure everyone will be happy with their decisions. I thought I would share my pros list for anyone still debating. I don't like focusing on the cons.. because both schools will be great!

Western PROS:  in house speech and audiology clinic, smaller program/class sizes, lower cost of living, anatomy lab

Toronto PROS: more external placements (i.e. social networking opportunities), separate academic and clinical blocks (not concurrent), more funding opportunities

Good luck all!

Hi all,

I am definitely leaning towards Toronto- even after reading these posts. I have friends that did the program both at Western and Toronto. 2 of my friends at Toronto (one graduated just 2 years ago) were hired on by their external placements once they had completed the program. Just the networking that is available in the GTA is a huge factor for me! When I went to Western, I was told that there is only 2 external placements (outside of the clinic). That being said, I have heard nothing but positives about the Western program and know both schools have amazing reputations. I am sure everyone will be happy with their decisions. I thought I would share my pros list for anyone still debating. I don't like focusing on the cons.. because both schools will be great!

Western PROS:  in house speech and audiology clinic, smaller program/class sizes, lower cost of living, anatomy lab

Toronto PROS: more external placements (i.e. social networking opportunities), separate academic and clinical blocks (not concurrent), more funding opportunities

Good luck all!

You're right, I'm sure we'll get a fine education no matter where we go, and "which school is the right choice?" obviously comes down to personal preferences... Like if you plan to practice in Toronto, as it sounds like you are, the opportunities to network and get the ball rolling on something is probably one of the biggest draws to U of T.

I would add that Western requires a minimum of two external placements, you can do more than that if you choose.

Edited by SLPguy

I am still debating between McGill and U of T.. I'm from Calgary and would like to eventually end up back in Calgary after I graduate. Is it possible to do out of province placements while at U of T? I am leaning towards McGill yet I have heard the program is very theoretical with less focus on clinical experience, leaving students feeling unprepared to enter the workforce after graduating. Suggestions?

I am still debating between McGill and U of T.. I'm from Calgary and would like to eventually end up back in Calgary after I graduate. Is it possible to do out of province placements while at U of T? I am leaning towards McGill yet I have heard the program is very theoretical with less focus on clinical experience, leaving students feeling unprepared to enter the workforce after graduating. Suggestions?

I'm pretty sure it's possible at all the schools, but I think there's a little extra work in getting it set up, you should probably contact the school and ask them. 

Just to add to the debate, I'm a current undergrad student at Western (so I'm probably a bit biased). London is a great city. I took Intro to Speech & Language Disorders here (it's a course for undergrads), and the lecturers each week were a different faculty member of the school of communication sciences. They were all excellent, and had practiced in the field which provided lots of opportunity to learn from them. As far as Toronto living and London living, I originally come from Toronto and I love London. The housing here for students is cheaper and closer to the school. There's apartments (it's a company called London Properties) catered specifically to students literally next to Elborn College, and across the street. 

Hey all, I'm posting to say I got accepted at the University of Ottawa on the 25th of March. I had applied there and McGill, where I got rejected :(, I was sad because I really wanted to go live in Montreal. I did my B.A. specialized in linguistics and a minor in psychology at OttawaU, not enormous GPA but valuable research experience, had a good teaching job while studying and went abroad to teach last semester. Interview went pretty well too. Really excited to start!

Hey all, I'm posting to say I got accepted at the University of Ottawa on the 25th of March. I had applied there and McGill, where I got rejected :(, I was sad because I really wanted to go live in Montreal. I did my B.A. specialized in linguistics and a minor in psychology at OttawaU, not enormous GPA but valuable research experience, had a good teaching job while studying and went abroad to teach last semester. Interview went pretty well too. Really excited to start!

Congrats on Ottawa Vivi_K! I know someone else who was accepted into the program. As for me and another friend, waitlisted but hoping for a positive answer soon! Would you be able to shed a little light on life in Ottawa and UOttawa in general? Thanks! :)

Hey all,

Over the past week I have visited the programs at Western and Toronto (open house), and have accepted the offer at Toronto this evening. Hopefully something opens up for you UWO waitlisters! If anyone has any questions about my choice or program feel free to message me :)

Good luck in your decisions!

Hey all,

Over the past week I have visited the programs at Western and Toronto (open house), and have accepted the offer at Toronto this evening. Hopefully something opens up for you UWO waitlisters! If anyone has any questions about my choice or program feel free to message me :)

Good luck in your decisions!

Clearly the open house today was influential! Congrats on your decision! 

To egad00: The best parts of the open house, at least for me, were the parts that weren't broadcasted. The highlight was definitely the  tour around the building (which wasn't broadcasted. We got to see several of the labs, meet the profs. The tours were given by 2nd year students -- very nice cause we got to hear them talk candidly about their program. 

The parts that were broadcasted were mainly things that you can find on the site: 

-why students choose to go there (definitely from the site!) 

-housing (Go to the U of T housing site to get off campus housing listings... there are a couple on campus housing options for grad students but not a lot) 

-a few things about the limited funding there is. one of the points he stressed was to apply for OSAP (the Ontario loan program) even if you're not going to take it, because it determines financial need. I guess as a Quebec student you would just apply for the Quebec equivalent? don't know how that works! 

I just got home from work (which I went to after the open house!) so I'm exhausted, so maybe I'll remember more later. Hopefully other people can add things. 

Egad00: I had read the student handbook, which is on the site, the night before, which made a lot of today repetitive (also one of my best friends is in the program). Anyway, my point is if you haven't already, take a look at the student handbook.

I think I'm now leaning towards U of T. But I guess ask me again in three days. Haha. ;)

Edited by Inny

Congrats on Ottawa Vivi_K! I know someone else who was accepted into the program. As for me and another friend, waitlisted but hoping for a positive answer soon! Would you be able to shed a little light on life in Ottawa and UOttawa in general? Thanks! :)

I'm hoping for a positive answer for you too! When I went for the linguistic tests I talked to a couple of people that came from the province of Québec and a lot of them told me that OttawaU wouldn't be their first choice since they know more people on the Québec side (either Québec city, Montreal or Trois-Rivières), and would prefer staying there, so hopefully a spot is likely to open for you if one of them gets offered admission in another university. 

For describing life in Ottawa, I think Ottawa is a beautiful city, quite calm though, but with a lot of things to see. If you like doing outdoor activities, (biking, running, roller blade, etc) you will love it. I bought a bike when I was staying there cause I really enjoyed their numerous paths. If you ask me about the University, I liked my experience a lot, but as you probably know, the SLP program is not on the main campus. I have friends that are in the program presently and they told me that they love it, they love the professors and they feel like they are learning a lot.

If you have any questions you can PM me :)! And best of luck to you and all of you waiting for admissions.

Still no word from UofA either.

I don't know what to think any more... Apart from one very lucky person (congratulations again!), no one else on the forum seems to have heard anything.

Based on what I see happening at other universities, UofA should be notifying applicants to whom they're extending offers, applicants who are on the wait list, and people who have been rejected. I really would just like to KNOW so I can get on with things.

I'm really disappointed that the attitude seems to be that it's ok to let people stew and stew... and stew some more without giving out any helpful information.

ANY ideas? Is there anything we could do?

Just got an acceptance letter from UofA.  Check your email!

ETA: It's a comparatively casual email directly from the administrative coordinator (not Noriko).  It says I have until April 16th to decide.

Edited by egad00

ETA: It's a comparatively casual email directly from the administrative coordinator (not Noriko).  It says I have until April 16th to decide.

Congrats! 

Man they're taking their sweet time. 

Congrats egad00!

Is anyone else sitting on the edge of their seats though?? Ahh way too much anxiety for my system!

Edited by FrenglishSLP

Congrats egad00 and AbSLP!!! Such great news!! To those who have been emailing UofA, do you think we can email to ask what our status is? Or would they just respond the typical "acceptances are being sent out" kind of deal?