Is Math/Stat training in Poli Sci as strong as Econ PhD?

rustytrix

There you already know the question from the subject. If anybody has experience with both programs or knows about it then please let me know (things like stat, game theory, and so on). I also heard that poli sci phds have the option of taking econometrics courses and so on after they are enrolled. Is that true? How about poli sci math/stat training within department?

My PhD department limits the number of classes you can take outside the department. So if you're planning on loading up with a ton of econ courses in a poli sci program, be sure to email the DGS at any program you're thinking of attending, and ask about the number of non-poli sci classes you're allowed to take.

As for the methods courses offered within poli sci departments . . . well, the quality and quantity of these courses vary wildly between departments. I think there are some threads on here that discuss the strongest programs in quant. methods. Go to the websites of the programs mentioned, check out their methods course offerings, maybe ask for syllabi from the professors who have actually taught those courses, and try to figure out if they seem challenging enough for you.

In response to your main question, I would say "sort of." The median economics program has better math/stat training than the median political science program. However, at the top few methods departments, your training will be as good as many of the top econometrics departments. Economics departments, however, have the advantage of having graduate students that come in with multivariate calculus and real analysis, where most political science students have to learn some more math once they get there.

Either way, I imagine it would be advisable for a political science or an economics student who is interested in doing original research in methods/econometrics to take some coursework in a real math/stat department.

As convex said, the average background of econ students is higher, so even if the courses in both depts had the same syllabus, the econ course would be stronger.

One way to start things out is to attend the "summer math camp" that almost all Econ depts have before their semester begins. If you can enroll (I will try to do that) it is probably a good way to boost any other method course performance, regardless of the dept.

Summer math camp is good if the purpose is to remind yourself of math concepts that you once knew but may have forgotten (for example, if you took multivariate calculus when you were a Sophomore, and are feeling rusty on partial derivatives). In my opinion (based on word of mouth from professors and other graduate students), it is not sufficient if you never took those courses. If you haven't taken multivariate calculus and/or linear algebra, I suggest working on it during the summer before you enter graduate school.

I would suggest using these materials if you do not have access to summer courses at your school:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/

Well i have taken the following courses:

Calc 1,2,3 (includes multi-var calc)

Linear Algebra

Differential Equations

Intro. to advanced math

Intro. to econometrics (from econ dept)

Prob and Stat (non-calc based)

what other courses would be useful?...and how practical/feasible would it be for me to take econometric courses (w/ econ dept. of course) once i get into a poli phd program?

Real analysis and calculus-based probability are the next steps for you, in my opinion.

Most programs don't mind if you take the econometrics sequence, but with your background you ought to be able to get into a program where you don't feel the need to do that.

Real analysis and calculus-based probability are the next steps for you, in my opinion.

Most programs don't mind if you take the econometrics sequence, but with your background you ought to be able to get into a program where you don't feel the need to do that.

im doing my last undergrad semester so taking further courses will be quite a struggle (if not impossible considering the financial burden)....in case i am unable to take further courses do you think the level of math i have (including a 780Q gre) is sufficient to apply at the top 10 depts in quantitative methods? (of course, assuming that all other factors suffice)