Penn State (2013)

Right now PSU is my only definite admit, though I'm still holding hope for my UMichigan waitlist to come through. Who else was admitted this year? Anyone on the boards already attending?

I know there has already been a bit of discussion (and there's another thread about it in Decisions Decisions...) but are there people who are seriously considering not going because of the recent scandal? (If so, why did you apply?)

I'm pretty excited about their program, but I honestly don't know which I would choose if Michigan comes through. I'll be visiting both before April 15 though. :)

Hi! I'm in at Penn State, but for Comp Lit and not English. I'll be visiting in a few weeks. Honestly, the scandal doesn't really mean anything to me. I don't think it has any bearing whatsoever on the academic quality of the institution. 

I don't think it has any bearing whatsoever on the academic quality of the institution. 

Exactly. I am assuming a rejection from Penn State, but I think it's stupid that someone serious about getting a PhD and a pursuing a career in academia would discount such a great program because of this.

I was waitlisted for the Penn State MA. I have heard that they basically expect their MA students to continue into the PhD program (I don't necessarily view this as a positive or a negative). Can anyone verify this?

Yes, the MA package is 6 years of funding, with the expectation that you will continue to the PhD. The "application" process between them is something of a formality (you submit a seminar paper from your coursework, and instructors you've worked with talk it over). The DGS said it's about a 90% admission rate from the MA to PhD, and the 10% who don't move on often decide not to.

• 3 weeks later...

I know the official visiting weekend is coming up, but I just got back from a "private" visit (since I can't make next week) and... I am pretty much 99.99% convinced on PSU. I met with 7 different people on my visit, and the work that is happening there is just amazing, and I'm so excited. I'm really bummed I won't get to mingle with other prospectives, though. Who is going to the recruitment weekend? You'll have to share all about it. :)