Virginia vs Maryland

shadi

Hi all,

I am thinking to raise this question for a while, since I had some good news from UVA and UMD. Although still awaiting some other results, I would like to hear you guys' opinion about these two programs. My field is IR/comp, interested in conflict and security studies. I kinda want to have more solid training in formal theory (game modeling) and quanty methods.

(1)How would you rank these two programs? US news seemed to rank them basically the same (UMD#28, UVA#33--latest '09 version), but I am curious why NRC ranked UMD much higher than UVA (latest '10 version)?

(2) How's their PhD placement comparison? How's the future prospect and development of their programs?

(3) Which one would you recommend?

I think IR in these two programs are both good but would still like to hear some of your valuable opinions~~Thanks :)

Just a few wee caveats more than a real answer here....but I wouldn't worry about the difference between #33 and #28. Those figures will be in flux over the course of the years and both programs really are pretty great for IR. I don't think you'll have a significantly better or worse time of it in general with how the degree is seen....so go for fit with professors and the like.

Also, I know that UVa's placement record is mostly good LACs in the middle of the country and then a few round the edges....an occasional spot at U of R, GMU and some better schools like that. Good Post-doc placement.

As Mnemonics said, I don't think that the difference in ranking carries that much weight for your choice here since they are fairly evenly ranked. Instead I would focus on the fit/feel that you have for both of the programs. Where will you feel happy spending your next 5-6 years, what is the atmosphere in the program like, funding opportunities, etc.

I can't really speak of the placement for either of the schools, but that's something you should make sure to ask the programs about before you make your decision. Ask for a list of all their students and placements from the past five years or so to get a picture of what it's like.

Thanks Mnemonics2 and Lemeard

I think I should revise my questions more relevant to "fit.", since UVA and UMD are fairly ranked and their funding is basically the same.

So how are Maryland and Virginia's reputation in the respect of methods?? I want to get more training in formal theory and quantitative method. UVa doesn't have formal theory subfield but Maryland does, which means that UMD is relatively more formal weighted?

Besides, both programs have subfield of methodology, but not sure how stronge are them? Could someone can give me some ideas?  very much appreciate~

It's great to have you on GC forum to discuss with~~hope this thread can help others who are interested in UVA and UMD too :)

to build on the original question, what about between GW and UVA? leaning toward UVA in terms of adviser and feel, but do people think GW is stronger, esp. more upcoming?

I think UVA generally is more academically oriented. It's program is small but good at taking care of students. But according to the other thread on the forum, GWU is doing transition these years and its location is also great~~So I guess it goes back to the fit problem again!  

to build on the original question, what about between GW and UVA? leaning toward UVA in terms of adviser and feel, but do people think GW is stronger, esp. more upcoming?

Hey Ping,

Well, I know absolutely nothing about UVA; however, I have a quasi-inside connection to George Washington.  It's a great school, but not overly academically oriented.  Placement hasn't been historically great in academic circles.  That said, it has some really strong people.  If, for example, you want to study Eurasia/Russia, international organizations, or humanitarianism, then there are some strong faculty there.

So ... yeah.

Anyone can provides more information about Maryland?

Not seeing many discussions on MD. Is that a sign that Maryland is not a very popular school among applicants' choices???

:huh:

Anyone can provides more information about Maryland?

Not seeing many discussions on MD. Is that a sign that Maryland is not a very popular school among applicants' choices???

:huh:

Certainly not - I'll be attending in the fall!  Maryland has very strong faculty and academic preparation.  You should call them up to see if you can visit.  They're regularly placing articles in top journals across all fields, and their academic placements (and post-doc placements) are quite nice.

Give Mike Hanmer a call and see if he can set up a weekend for you at the school.

All else being equal, it's difficult to top Charlottesville as a location. The grad students I knew there seemed to like the program as well. If you want any other info about UVA (with the caveat that it may not be overly up-to-date), feel free to PM me.