Reputation of Canadian schools?

We are in a very similar circumstance. Calgary has been steadily improving and they are a well funded university. I would not discount a good offer from them. You could try contacting the POI at the other universities and put it out there that you would like to work with them but you received a good package from Calgary and ask if there is anything they can do. If they really want you, they may be able to sweeten the pot. Calgary is ranked as the 6th best comprehensive university in Canada - which isn't too shabby. 

I am trying to decide between 4 Canadian graduate schools: McGill, U of T, UBC, and Calgary. My best offer (by far) came from Calgary but it is the lowest in rank. Any advice?

Calgary also gave me a phenomenal offer (for the Master's of Strategic Studies program), but this is something I'm trying to reconcile at the moment too. I'm still waiting to hear back from NPSIA at Carleton - but at this point I'm trying to gauge Calgary's good (and improving) reputation / amazing funding package against NPSIA's stellar reputation and the fact that its in Ottawa is a nice touch (thats if I get in of course haha).

Best of Luck with your decision making!  

Edited by Blake091

Thank you guys! Right now I am leaning towards UBC and Calgary, they are the best fits for me. It is mostly a struggle because UBC seems to be more reputable but in the process of downsizing/cutting back, yet Calgary is less reputable but has very active expansion initiatives right now.

It depends on the program and your supervision. Is one a better fit for your research over another? Will you be able to better network at one over the other? Also take into account the size of the university and the department you will be in, those things can have a major impact on the quality of your experience there.

Both of those schools are a great fit for my research - the department at UBC is much larger, although there are the same number of instructors in my field at both schools. I have looked at the class listings and the courses at Calgary appear to be more diverse. However, UBC is ranked no. 2 (or 3) in Canada whereas Calgary is ranked much lower. And I cannot seem to find anywhere rankings by department or field. 

I did email my current supervisors to ask for their input as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Calgary also gave me a phenomenal offer (for the Master's of Strategic Studies program), but this is something I'm trying to reconcile at the moment too. I'm still waiting to hear back from NPSIA at Carleton - but at this point I'm trying to gauge Calgary's good (and improving) reputation / amazing funding package against NPSIA's stellar reputation and the fact that its in Ottawa is a nice touch (thats if I get in of course haha).

Best of Luck with your decision making!  

I have a friend doing the Master's of Strategic Studies and he absolutely loves it! 

I'm currently waiting to hear from NPSIA too. I think both are great programs. Hope to see you in Ottawa! :-D

Thanks, guys. I am still having an extremely difficult time deciding. I really like the look of the program at Calgary, and I am talking with potential supervisors, but I am really worried about it being so low ranking. It will be a tough decision.