GWU - Funding Decision on APRIL 15TH???

gdubs

I got accepted at GWU but I am an alternate for funding.  From what I can gather, it's like a short waitlist, and everyone assures me that I'm "very likely" to get offered the funding.

But then I learned that since it's based on people officially declining offers or accepting other ones, I probably won't hear back until "late on April 15th."

WHAT?!

What should I do?  GWU is one of my top choices, and to be honest, it's my choice over some much higher ranked schools.  I believe in the faculty and in the program, and I would absolutely love to go there.

However, putting my life in an awkward limbo for that long is really unreasonable.

Should I contact the school?  Should I reach out to POI's (who have yet to contact me)?  What should I do?  Someone help!

Edited by gdubs

Can anyone confirm that this is a common scenario, even via PM if you don't want to out yourself?

This seems extremely unreasonable.  I can't put all other schools on hold until the final hour, but I really want to go to GWU!

I don't think it's uncommon, and I don't think it could hurt to contact the graduate admissions persons at GWU explaining your concern.  If you "conditionally" accept their offer (pending acquiring financial support), perhaps they can then move you up the list, or give you first consideration when/if someone declines.  At worst, by contacting them, you will have shown them interest and enthusiasm for their program, which seems to me to be a good thing.

This seems extremely unreasonable.  I can't put all other schools on hold until the final hour, but I really want to go to GWU!

You don't reallly need to put all of your other schools on hold. Once you've gotten all of your acceptances/rejections, why don't you pick your #2 choice (the school you'd choose if funding at GWU falls through) and decline the other offers? Just a thought :)

You don't reallly need to put all of your other schools on hold. Once you've gotten all of your acceptances/rejections, why don't you pick your #2 choice (the school you'd choose if funding at GWU falls through) and decline the other offers? Just a thought :)

The problem is that the deadline for 99.99% of all schools is April 15th.

Even if it was between GWU and just one other school, I would have to wait until the late afternoon or even evening of April 15th to be sure, and then I risk the chance that I miss the deadline for the other school.  That's not to mention my crazy schedule and time differences that might actually mean I might not be able to get to a wifi hotspot or computer by the time I realize I'm not going to hear back from GWU.