Emory

LMac

I already live in Atlanta, so I'll be staying in the same house. It sounded like a lot of first year grad students live in the apartments on/close to campus even though they can be a little pricier than some options further away. After the first year they have a better idea of what neighborhoods they want to live in and rent a house with other grad students. Will you have a car? If so, popular (less expensive) neighborhoods are Inman Park, Kirkwood, East Atlanta and some places in Virginia Highlands. If you have any questions about specific areas, I'd be happy to help

I am as well! I am looking into closer to Decatur area I think. My parents seem to want me to take out a mortgage and buy a small single family house and rent a room out. I am skeptical of this decision...

Congrats on your acceptance Laconic! Which recruitment weekend did you attend?

I would think if your budget allows you to buy in a good part of Decatur, you could probably only rent to students. If you need to rent outside of the student population, it can be really difficult. I have a friend who rents out a bedroom in her house in Decatur and it's taken her months to rent it out at times. Not only that, but there have been a fair number of sketchy people who answer her ads. She is renting to Emory student now. Just be sure to find a 2 bathroom house. It's a much harder sell if you'll be sharing a bathroom.

Edited by LMac

I will be moving to Atlanta with a suitcase of clothes, an Xbox 360, chess board, and two boxes of books :). I'm in my late 20's and am equally inclined to rent a room or get my own place close to campus.

I've been looking at apartments online and it seems like $500-675 is a reasonable monthly rent at a decent place in Druid Hills/Decatur area. I would like to be 6-7 miles from campus at most.

Does this sound about right or am I way off the mark with my assumption?

Ah, totally forgot the Druid Hills area. That one is big for Emory students as well. I don't think that price range sounds off the mark but are you looking at apt complexes or smaller places like duplexes?

Thanks LMac. I went to the first recruitment weekend, but for the NAB program in the psych department, not the NGP program. I only add that part because I don't remember anybody from Atlanta during my recruitment.

I feel more inclined to rent, though. Mostly because I think I'd prefer to live by myself and rent is pretty cheap in the area (compared to the NE where I am now), and having to advertise renting to strangers regularly doesn't appeal to me and seem like it'd add to extra unneeded stress for grad school.

Thanks LMac. I went to the first recruitment weekend, but for the NAB program in the psych department, not the NGP program. I only add that part because I don't remember anybody from Atlanta during my recruitment.

Ah, gotcha. I did the second weekend with the NGP. Maybe try renting the first year and then see how you feel. In my experience, it's difficult to buy in a new city when you haven't figured out what areas appeal most to you.

RiseofthePhoenix, I've always preferred individual apts vs ones in complexes, but that's just me. The trick is that they're harder to find and usually require going to the city, answering listing ads and driving around. I'm not as familiar with that part of town so I'm not sure if it's worth the pursuit. Sorry I'm not more help there. Does your dept give you a grad students to help answer questions the first semester? I know mine does and they could be a really good resource.

Hi Rise!!!!! Where have you been????

Hi to the rest of you!!!!! I am going to Emory as well!!!! 

Because I am international student and cannot travel to Atlanta just for renting an apartment, I am probably renting a room at Campus Crossings. At least for the first months is the best option for me since I do not know the area and I could not attend the Admitted Students Weekend. The apartments may not be GREAT but they are furnished and are quite close to campus, which is what I need for the first months. Once I get to know the area, I'll probably move. 

Nice group!!!! see yaaa

Hey Pat. I've been super busy! Campus Crossings are nice and they include many amenities. They're super expensive but are a good option for the first few months before you can get a feel for what the city is like and where you really want to live.

Because of the wonderful 70 degree weather in Atlanta yesterday, I went walking/hiking in Lullwater Park and Hahn Woods, both of which are part of campus. It was absolutely beautiful! Grassy hills for reading, a small lake, a few miles of paths, a pedestrian suspension bridge over the river, and the park wasn't too crowded. I highly recommend checking it out.

Haha yeah I've been looking that link occasionally, but thanks anyway LMac!

This may not apply to you, but maybe for the others - when are people planning on making the move to Atlanta? Are you going to try and have some time to settle in a bit or just move in right when the semester starts?

Ok yeah, I was thinking of making the move mid-July... Really... finding out that I won't get my first stipend until the end of September has me already trying to budget in a move with my paltry savings lol

Yep, Campus Crossings.

I have also been checking out this website http://www.ridethecity.com/atlanta#2545489 it tells you the safest and/or faster way to move around Atlanta by bike. I am thinking of cycling there and have found out Emory rents bikes for $75 a semester. 

I'll probably arrive to Atlanta by August 15th. Once there, I'll bug you where to buy stuff!!! :D