Should I visit both schools?

CuppaTea

I've been admitted to two programs so far.  One has offered me an RA position (tuition, stipend, and healthcare) for the first year, but can't guarantee funding for subsequent years (although it's likely).  The second says that almost all of their students get TA positions that last through graduation, but can't guarantee a position for the Fall semester.  Also, they don't assign their TA positions until after the acceptance deadline, so I'd have to accept or decline without knowing about funding.

I had already pretty much talked myself into the first school, but there are aspects I like about the second school as well.  My question is, should I actually take the time to go visit the second school?  I'm tempted to just decline and go with the one that can offer me funding immediately, but I also don't want to burn any bridges with the prof at the other school.

Yes, visit both. First of all, your impression might change following the visit--that has definitely been known to happen in the past. Second, you should use the opportunity to make connections at the school you will not be attending. Use the visits to get to know people at both schools and keep and open mind - even if you end up not changing your mind, what have you got to lose?

Yep, completely agree with the above post. I would strongly advise visiting both schools. I wouldn't have seriously considered the school I currently attend had I not visited! It's also a great way to get 'the real story' about what goes on at the school from current graduate students.

I agree with the other two posters. I had the opposite experience to aero9, I was seriously considering two schools and the first one I visited I loved, the second one I hated. There is a lot that can be determined from the visit, that can't be determined otherwise, and those are the things that will most effect your happiness.