Part time PhD Geology in the UK.

geodarmy

Hi folks,

I am new to this thread and have to confess that  I am so impressed with what I have read so far. My story goes thus,

I have my BS in Geology from Nigeria, my masters degree from one of the universities in the USA and planning for a PhD program in the UK. I would love to work on my PhD in the USA but all the professors and schools I contacted won't accept me as a part time student. One of my friend who lives in the UK told me it is doable in the UK and that I should ask around hence coming here.

My reason for seeking a part time PhD is because of my job. I believe it doesn't make sense to resign from my job for a 5yr PhD program - not even when everyone is trying to get into the oil industry. At the same time, I want to make sure I work on my PhD too. Because of this, I am thinking I could get advise here on part time Geology PhD schools in the UK here.

Does any one have any advise or suggestions? I will appreciate it plese.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi geodarmy,

To my knowledge, a PhD is a full time degree. I have never heard of anyone doing a part time PhD. If you don't want to spend 5 years, going to the UK makes sense, but they are very very strict about who they pay to do a PhD. Sometimes even people from the EU have trouble finding funding, and non EU people are even lower on the priority list.