MGH Institute of Health Professions

I was in a similar situation last year, and ended up choosing a different school that offered me a surprise scholarship a week before the decision deadline, but I wouldn't discount Emerson just yet. The faculty there care deeply about making sure students get the experiences they want/need, so if you express an interest in adult neuro, it might not get you out of hours and hours working with preschoolers, but they will do their best to get you an adult neuro placement so that you graduate with an experience on par with an MGH grad. You might not be in a medically-oriented environment at Emerson, but it could still mean significantly less debt and the same job prospects. This is obviously just my opinion, but definitely approach the info sessions with an open mind! Congrats on your acceptances, and good luck with your decisions!

It's good to hear this. I'm starting to realize that grad school is what you make it. Even though Emerson doesn't have as wide a range of clinical placements and even though the focus there is on pediatric, it seems that if you are clear with your adviser about what you want and seek out opportunities that interest you, then you can have the grad school experience that you want.

• 2 weeks later...

What did you all think of the admitted students event today? I was totally blown away and REALLY want to attend, but I'm still hung up on the cost. After calculating the cost for MGH, I'm getting a total of 80,419 ($72,519 for two years of tuition, $650/semester for books, and an initial $400 plus $600/semester for fees). For Emerson, I'm getting 61,251 ($56,646 for two years of tuition, $650/semester for books, and $272/semester for fees). $20,000 is no small thing :/ 

I attended both the Emerson and mgh open houses and was really impressed by both. I got a completely different feel at the two though, and I definitely think the current students at both places were right in saying that some just prefer one environment to the other and that's how they make their choices.

I personally liked the Emerson program better which makes it easier for me because it's cheaper, but if you got a better feel from mgh, then I would talk to current students and the financial office and see what they say. I spoke to MANY current students at both places who were choosing between mgh, Emerson and bu so I'm sure a lot of them had the same concerns you do and would be helpful to talk to!

Wow, I hadn't realized that MGH was *that* much more expensive than Emerson (and Columbia is even more expensive than MGH, yikes!). I still think that I'm heavily leaning toward MGH because I really did like their program that much more than Emerson's.  But... Emerson might be able to buy my love on the off chance that they give me a fellowship.

I actually heard one person today talking about gradcafe. Wonder if it was one of you? :-P 

I was at the MGH open house yesterday as well! I alread had made my decision to go to MGH beforehand, but yesterday definitely secured that decision. The faculty all seemed welcoming, the facilities were incredible, and I really liked that it was in the middle of the Navy Yard. I'm excited to start! If anyone else is for sure going, we should talk before the semester starts!

Unfortunately, I was unable to make it to the open house but I have visited campus before and absolutely love it! My campus visit really confirmed my interest in MGH and I am so excited to be attending this fall!

I was told that MGH will set up an online forum near the end of April to early May so we can all chat and find roommates. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this conversation up a little bit. Haven't heard of many people attending MGH next year, so I wanted to see if anyone else had decided to accept their offer. Can't wait for next fall!

Just wanted to bump this conversation up a little bit. Haven't heard of many people attending MGH next year, so I wanted to see if anyone else had decided to accept their offer. Can't wait for next fall!

U must be talking about fall 2013..right. We can make a closed group at facebook of mgh students as I have seen BU students group there. It would be a good idea to be in touch with all of us mgh accepted students :)

Haha, sorry about that. Yes, I meant for Fall 2013. And that's a great idea! From what a previous poster said, MGH was going to set up a forum later this month, but a facebook group would be nice.