Georgetown MA in English

Hey Everybody,

So on March 1st, a lot of us got accepted to the Georgetown MA in English program. For those who got accepted and also those who have gone in the past, do you know how funding works? They said they'll start making funding calls this week- has anyone been called yet? If you have been called, can you share your stats (GRE, GPA, background experience) so we can try to figure out who gets funded?

Thanks!

Hi silvergleam,

First of all, congrats! I was accepted as well but haven't heard anything about funding yet, though I suppose it is only Tuesday. Count me as also curious about how funding offers are determined and dispersed.

I'm in at Georgetown too.  I don't know much about funding and haven't heard anything as of yet, but from what I got from the website, somewhere around 1/3 of accepted students get a funding package of some kind.  I'll share the following, which you may already know, but either way it'll be instructive to any visitors:

Some of these are fully funded (stipend + tuition); others are simply offers of tuition remission.  Some of the funded positions are extremely competitive: two years ago, 89 people were accepted, 30 of those ultimately matriculating; Georgetown only selects 7 students total for the two Graduate Writing Associate programs (GWA-HUMW and GWA-SCS).  Those are odds of < 8%.

I'm on the waitlist at a great Ph.D. program which may convert for me, but I'm really hoping that Georgetown offers me full funding.  I won't be able to attend otherwise, and I think their program is awesome, so I'd love to go.

Thanks for writing back! 

Christakins- hopefully we'll both get funding!

Two Espressos- Thank you for the information. Where did you get the information about 89 people accepted, 30 matriculating and only 7 students chosen for the programs? That's something else I was curious about- how many people normally apply to the MA in Literature at Georgetown and how many get accepted? 

Two Espressos- Thank you for the information. Where did you get the information about 89 people accepted, 30 matriculating and only 7 students chosen for the programs? That's something else I was curious about- how many people normally apply to the MA in Literature at Georgetown and how many get accepted? 

Admissions statistics: http://english.georgetown.edu/programs/graduate/apply/13062.html

Funding info: http://english.georgetown.edu/programs/graduate/studentfunding/

I divided 7 into the 89 students accepted in 2011 to get the < 8% figure.

Thank you very much, Two Espressos! I noticed that elsewhere you said that your email said you were a "strong candidate" for funding (good for you). Did you receive your email from Hannah or Ricardo or both? And was the rest of it the standard fare (i.e. 'I am delighted to inform you that...etc.')?

TheStage, I didn't get a "very strong candidate for funding" line, so I think that means that those of you who did get it probably have a greater chance of getting the funding. 

Can those of you who got the "very strong candidate for funding" line tell us what your background is (GRE, GPA, work experience, publications, other)? I'm trying to figure out what my chances are, if any, for getting funding. Thanks either way. 

Hey guys! Congrats on your acceptances! I am currently finishing up my MA at Georgetown as a fully funded student. My funding is through the GWA (Graduate Writing Associates) program, and I receive tuition and a stipend for TA courses in the English department. The department has several opportunities for funding that aren't all listed on the website, including some that pop up throughout the year, so I think that 1/3 or students is actually on the low end.

It's funny, given that the email said they would start making phone calls early this week...I obviously want to be reassured, but the more negative part of my brain says that they've just called all the people they're giving money to, and I'm just not one of them.

So I missed two calls today from a DC number and was absolutely giddy, thinking it might be a funding offer from Georgetown. My hands were shaking as I returned the call -- it rang once, and a recording told me I had reached some sort of nonprofit call center. The universe is trolling me.

So I have no idea what's going on at Georgetown. I've emailed two people in the last few days, and heard back from neither of them. There have been no postings of funding offers here on grad cafe either. Were they lying when they said the first funding offers would have been made what amounts to nearly two weeks ago? Did they make them to people who do not know what grad cafe is? Do they get emails? Who knows.

I got an email about visiting day, and the official acceptance letter from the Dean. Apparently they want, what I consider, a substantial down payment to enroll. I've heard nothing of funding, however. Maybe it's spring break?

I have confirmed that the first round of funding offers already went out. We're all waiting for people to decline, now.

Goddamnit.

ETA: I dislike the fact that they included that "very strong candidate for funding" line in my email.  That wording made it sound like I'd definitely be given some sort of funding offer, especially since other accepted students received no such line.

Edited by Two Espressos

I wish they'd tell us what they consider to be a successful applicant in terms of receiving funding. I know some universities have algorithms, and I just wish I knew whether Georgetown has an algorithm or how they decide who deserves funding vs. who doesn't.