Northwestern History Waitlist

Guest daphna

Guest daphna

Has anyone heard anything about the waitlist at Northwestern's History PhD program?

Any idea how long it is? has anyone come off it yet?

I just want to know where my offers stand so I can finally make a decision.

i am on the list too and no news. i will post any news i get here. please don the same. i was told they usually go to the list. what field are you

Guest daphna

I'm in Early Modern European.

But i've decided to stop waiting. I've made a decision to go to another school.

I will update anyway.

glad to hear you have made a choice. i am us history so we were not competing for the same slot, they pick off the list according to field as well as rank. are you going to tell the grad assistant or frommer that you are no longer interested?

forgot to mention that they do not make choices on the list till 14th or 15th. which leave me with the question: how do you wait that late and not have to put a deposit or accept elsewhere?

Guest daphna

I'm wondering the same thing myself - how exactly do they expect you to deal with this situation?

I live outside the States, and we have a little holiday season coming upon us. I just couldn't afford to wait with sending the letter to Brown (the school I decided to go to) letting them know I was going to attend. I was worried it wouldn't get there in time. And since I was pretty sure that even if I got off the waitlist, I would still want to go to Brown, I just went ahead and notified them.

I didn't notify NW yet (I only made my decision yesterday). I probably should, although I have to admit I kind of want to know if I'll get off the waitlist or not (an ego thing, i guess... I want to know that I've actually been accepted to more than one school).

congrats on brown. NW is my top choice so i am really waiting anxiously. i have bothered the grad assistant too many times, but at least they know i am still very, very interested and likely to accept off the wait list.

Guest daphna

I'm not sure how the funding is for everyone, but I got full funding + health + 18,000$ stipend (guaranteed for 5 years) +2500$ for 3 out of 5 summers.

I understand that's pretty good for social sciences/humanities. It's pretty similar to what NW give to all their students.

still no word but confirmed that they will notify around 14/15th. also confirmed that it is based on field and advisor, not a general list. let me know people if you have updates