Partial funding at Columbia vs. Full Funding at Wake Forest - English MA

This past week, I was accepted to Wake Forest's English MA program with full funding and Columbia's History and Literature program in Paris with a 25% fellowship, and I'm having a difficult time choosing between the two.

I am strongly leaning on the side of Wake Forest because it's a two-year program rather than a one year program, it has a wonderful reputation, and financial concerns are a huge factor for me.

I have also heard really good things about Columbia's H&L program in Paris--for example, I heard that all of their students got accepted to every one of the Ph.D. programs to which they applied. Additionally, studying in Paris at some point is absolutely critical to my research. However, I will almost certainly have to take out a SUBSTANTIAL loan since the program is an estimated $72k and my fellowship only covers 25% of tuition ($42k).

I've had professors and English graduate students saying contradictory things--some say Columbia/Paris is indispensable, while others say Wake Forest would be the better option. Anybody else want to weigh in? Does anyone know WFU's placement rate for grad students into Ph.D. programs, and to which schools their students are accepted? Is this an appropriate question for me to ask the department, considering they've already accepted me?

Edited by thehauteculture

This past week, I was accepted to Wake Forest's English MA program with full funding and Columbia's History and Literature program in Paris with a 25% fellowship, and I'm having a difficult time choosing between the two.

I am strongly leaning on the side of Wake Forest because it's a two-year program rather than a one year program, it has a wonderful reputation, and financial concerns are a huge factor for me.

I have also heard really good things about Columbia's H&L program in Paris--for example, I heard that all of their students got accepted to every one of the Ph.D. programs to which they applied. Additionally, studying in Paris at some point is absolutely critical to my research. However, I will almost certainly have to take out a SUBSTANTIAL loan since the program is an estimated $72k and my fellowship only covers 25% of tuition ($42k).

I've had professors and English graduate students saying contradictory things--some say Columbia/Paris is indispensable, while others say Wake Forest would be the better option. Anybody else want to weigh in? Does anyone know WFU's placement rate for grad students into Ph.D. programs, and to which schools their students are accepted? Is this an appropriate question for me to ask the department, considering they've already accepted me?

25% of 72K is 18K......

That said ask Wake forest about post graduation placement they are not going to rescind  an offer.

Edited by mrmolecularbiology

25% of 72K is 18K......

Haha, I can do basic math. I should have clarified: the total estimated cost of the program is $72k, tuition is $42k, and I am only receiving 25% of tuition, not the total cost of the program. That was my bad for not being more clear!

Edited by thehauteculture

i'm in a totally different field of study, but if i were you, i'd go for the full funding, and kick serious butt at wake without major financial woes- plus, under the assumption you're american/stateside, that takes some of the load off your back of moving abroad, settling into housing abroad, higher costs of living, etc.

are there phd programs that would allow you to go to paris, especially ones with better funding?