Jhons Hopkins or Columbia?

Sharon

Hi all, I have been admitted into MHS program in JHSPH and MPH program in Columbia. Certainly Hopkins is academically better than Columbia. But the high crime rate in Bmore really worried me, while NYC is such a convinient metropolis. However, in NYC, I need to spend more living expenses than Bmore because none of the two school offer me any funding... On the other hand, is MPH easier to find a job than MHS? Is NYC easier to find a job than Bmore? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Well first you need to visit both schools to make that decision. Just because there is crime in Baltimore does not mean there will not be crime in NYC, or any other city for that matter. Have you read Columbia outputs recently on the increase of crime incidents to its students - in broad daylight even?

As far as degree and job prospects, the MPH and MHS are equivalent degrees, and will get you comparable opportunities. Job opportunities will be similar in both locations as well. NYC has tons of jobs in Public Health from what I see; and there are scores of jobs in Baltimore, as well as Washington, DC.

You may want to take a look at the total cost of both degrees in the end. At Mailman, you will need to factor in cost of living as well as whether you will be able to get a paid internship or assistantship your second year. At JHSPH, masters students get tuition scholarships and there are many positions open for research assistantships you could tap into.

I think in the end, you should visit each school, speak with the students, and get a feel for the city before committing to a decision.

Well first you need to visit both schools to make that decision. Just because there is crime in Baltimore does not mean there will not be crime in NYC, or any other city for that matter. Have you read Columbia outputs recently on the increase of crime incidents to its students - in broad daylight even?

As far as degree and job prospects, the MPH and MHS are equivalent degrees, and will get you comparable opportunities. Job opportunities will be similar in both locations as well. NYC has tons of jobs in Public Health from what I see; and there are scores of jobs in Baltimore, as well as Washington, DC.

You may want to take a look at the total cost of both degrees in the end. At Mailman, you will need to factor in cost of living as well as whether you will be able to get a paid internship or assistantship your second year. At JHSPH, masters students get tuition scholarships and there are many positions open for research assistantships you could tap into.

I think in the end, you should visit each school, speak with the students, and get a feel for the city before committing to a decision.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful suggestions! :) But the key problem is, I am in international student and far from the US, so it's almost impossible for me to pay a visit before choosing a school. So a further question I want to ask is, do you(or anyone else) have an idea of international students finding a job in the US? Is it really difficult at this economic situation? And do many positions require US citizens? Thanks!

Thank you very much for your thoughtful suggestions! :) But the key problem is, I am in international student and far from the US, so it's almost impossible for me to pay a visit before choosing a school. So a further question I want to ask is, do you(or anyone else) have an idea of international students finding a job in the US? Is it really difficult at this economic situation? And do many positions require US citizens? Thanks!

I can not answer that question about your employment options. That is a question you will need to direct to your university and is dependent on the type of visa you will have. Depending on your visa, you may be prohibited from working at all, or may be restricted to working on campus up to a set amount of time weekly. Be sure to contact your department to get accurate information about this.

Re working as an international:

On a student (F1?) visa, you can work 20h/week on campus when school's in session, and fulltime on campus in summer. There is some sort of training thing, where for every X years you were a student, you're allowed to work for a year after graduation.

I have lived near JHU and Columbia as a single female. I think that the crime rate is a bit more manageable in NYC than in B'more - in B'more, the spotty areas change from block to clock and are less obvious than in NYC. Yes, there have been some recent crimes in broad daylight @ Columbia, but JHU has them, too. And sometimes things just happen. As with any urban area, you should pay attention to your surroundings, don't be too flashy, and listen to your gut.

BUT, the cost of living near JHU's campus is more manageable. Just keep in mind that if you live in B'more, you will need a car, esp. if you are thinking about doing any work with area organizations. Public transit there is not that reliable, even with the JHU student buses. And with a car comes added expenses. B'more is NOT a walking city. However, NYC's public transit is pretty reliable and quite walkable. And all of life's necessities are usually right around the corner or can be delivered to you.

In terms of housing, NOW is a great time to find a place in NYC (probably the only good thing about the current economy) and I am sure that the same is true for B'more. When I lived in Roland Park (about 10-15 minute drive north of JHU's campus) I paid $800 for a nicely sized 1 bdrm apt. and that was in 2004. In NYC, when I lived near Columbia, I paid $550 for a room in a 3 bdrm apt. (in an area that was lively at all hours, which made it hard to sleep some nights, but the liveliness made it a bit safer to go home at night) about 15 minutes north of campus via subway and that was from 2005-2006. I know that the same still holds true since a friend of mine still has that same room. A studio apt in Manhattan is around $1200 and up.

I would also surf a bit on http://www.craigslist.org to get a sense of real estate pricing and jobs for both cities as well as http://www.idealist.org for employment opps.