Still waiting and not sure what to make of it...

Well, I'm still waiting on Georgetown, Chicago, and Columbia. While many acceptances and rejections have gone out for each of these programs (except Georgetown) I have yet to hear anything. What do you make of that? Chicago is especially perplexing to me because people began reporting Acceptances, Rejections, AND Waitlists several weeks ago! Should I contact them, or are some of you in the same boat?

I'd contact them. The graduate offices I've contacted, when I haven't heard anything and others have, have always been really nice and helpful. At least then you're not left hanging and can figure out what your next step is.

Well, I'm still waiting on Georgetown, Chicago, and Columbia. While many acceptances and rejections have gone out for each of these programs (except Georgetown) I have yet to hear anything. What do you make of that? Chicago is especially perplexing to me because people began reporting Acceptances, Rejections, AND Waitlists several weeks ago! Should I contact them, or are some of you in the same boat?

I would contact Patchen and ask him. Also, ask if the bones of Leo Strauss are buried under Pick Hall.

are some of you in the same boat?

I was in the same boat, yes, but with a different school. I contacted the school (WashU) and found out that I'm on an unofficial waitlist-for-the-waitlist. It's slightly less fatal to my hopes than an outright rejection (as long as some theorists who got offers or waitlists withdraw!), so . . . I wouldn't despair if I were you. At the very least, hearing nothing means that your application was worthy of serious and lengthy consideration.

i'm almost positive chicago is done. they mail rejections, so it might just be taking a while to get out to you. georgetown, not sure...they didn't do final admits 'til later in march last year, so maybe you still have a shot. i've heard they're responsive, so maybe its worth your time to call them up and see if they have any more rounds of application reviews left. columbia...a handful of us have no clue about that one. following last year's results, we're probably waitlisted. following two years ago, we're rejected. and according to our various correspondences with columbia, we have no clue. feel free to contact them - maybe you'll get a real answer! basically, we're either rejected or waitlisted, but nobody is saying.

pilsar makes an 11th hour appearance with this breaking story! Do you know if wait-lists are out as well? I think we've all taken for granted that we've not been admitted outright...

Not all places uses waitlists. Columbia wants a smaller class size than last year anyway.

Not all places uses waitlists. Columbia wants a smaller class size than last year anyway.

i've heard the same...over-yields the past few years. i'm fairly certain they'll be sending out a lot of rejection letters tomorrow.

The "mercy kill" is upon us. :P

Edit: It would have been more merciful a week ago. :lol:

agreed! at first it seemed like we were probably waitlisted, which would have made the extra wait much more tolerable. but seeing how many people on this board still hadn't heard, plus the vague responses from columbia, it became pretty obvious that we were all going to have to wait an extra week before getting axed.

I still haven't heard from NYU. I don't know if there's anyone else in the same situation, but yesterday I emailed them to ask about my status and got this very, very informative reply:

"The admissions process is ongoing and all applicants will be notified when it is complete."

Maybe they just lost my file :(